1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Maple Breakfast Sausage

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by disco, Jan 29, 2019.

1. disco

disco Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

It is not a lot and adds very little heat. I doubt your wife would have any problem with it. I just find it is a little bland without it.

link likes this.
  2. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I like breakfast sausage, and yours looks really good. But will skip the maple flavoring. The only maple flavor I like is smoke from the wood. Nice demo Disco.

Point for sure.
    Chris

3. disco

Thanks, Chris. I agree with you on commercial maple flavouring but I am addicted to maple syrup! However, we all have our own taste!

4. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

After my success with the Snack Sticks, this is on my Radar!
    I love Maple. So it may change my mind about sausage.
    All I've ever had was store bought.

I also want to Thank You for making your recipes Printable.
    I'm going to blow my horn for you.

https://oldfatguy.ca/?p=6125

You, and SWMBO, embody the true reason for the Internet. To share freely with anyone, in the interest to further knowledge, and to help people learn your skills.
    You have a folder in my ring binder cookbook I use in the kitchen. I take out the recipe I want to work on, then put it in the cover holder for reference.
    Your printable recipes fit perfectly.

I have a surplus of Honey Powder I'm thinking of using in this new frontier of Sausage and Snack Stick Sorcery.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  5. disco

Very kind of you, Sonny. I have never heard of honey powder! I look forward to your reporting!

6. link

link Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Made this tonight Disco and the wife likes it. She said she can taste the little bit of heat but she likes it. I also like it and will make more of it. It just so happens Kroger has pork shoulder for .99 a pound right now.

Thanks for the recipe.
    Link

Attached Files:

7. disco

Thanks for letting me know how it turned out and send me some of that cheap pork!

8. nanuk

nanuk Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Sorry Disco, but you lost me on "maple"

and YES, I am a Canadian.... but not "French"

My roots are in Garlic and Onion!

9. disco

Too each his own. We love this here.

10. Phil Chart

Phil Chart Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Looks great I will definitely try your recipe
    Thank for posting your recipe for the rest of us to enjoy
    I usually use the high mountain maple breakfast sausage spice with good results but it's time to try something new

11. ab canuck

ab canuck Master of the Pit OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Disco, sounds very similar to one we make here, although I have never tried adding the ginger to ours. We have tried a little bit of hatch chilli powder, I am thinking I want to try yours to see how it is with the ginger. We have been working on using maple extract for the maple end of it as well as maple wood / smoke.
    Congrats on the carousel ride.

12. disco

I have used their mix and like it but prefer my own. That isn't surprising as it is tuned by me to my tastes!

I never cared for maple extract when I try it. It reminds me of the fake store bought maple taste. That being said, when I did try a couple of buddies said they preferred it. Shrug. You have to try to get it the way you like it! Let me know how yours turns out!