Maple Breakfast Sausage from left over pork.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
On my trip to Butte, Montana for a curling bonspiel, I found a nice whole pork butt. They are hard to find here and I really wanted one for a recipe I had for a coppa from the whole butt (look for the post soon). However, I still had about 1.7 kg (4 pounds) of pork left from the butt after removing the coppa. What could be better than making Maple Breakfast Sausage. You can find my recipe in this post: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/maple-breakfast-sausage.283928/

I mixed the spices:
maple sausage 1.jpg

I sprinkled them over the cubed pork butt and put it in the fridge for an hour:

maple sausage 2.jpg

I ground the pork twice through the medium plate of my grinder:

maple sausage 3.jpg

I put the pork in the fridge for 30 minutes to cool. Then I spread it on a tray, poked holes with my fingers and poured maple syrup over it:

maple sausage 4.jpg

I mixed it for 4 minutes by folding the meat in half and pressing it out. Then I turned the tray 1/4 turn and repeated:

maple sausage 5.jpg

I put the meat in the fridge and let it cool for an hour. Then I put it in my stuffer and put it in 23 mm (3/4 inch) collagen casings:

Pork Maple Sausage, Pork Leftovers 2.jpg

I pinched the casing every 4 inches and cut at the pinch:

maple sausage 6.jpg

I put the sausage on a tray and freeze for 2 hours before putting in vacuum sealed bags and in the freezer:

Pork Maple Sausage, Pork Leftovers 3.jpg

Of course you have to try some. I cooked mine with some potatoes:

Pork Maple Sausage, Pork Leftovers 1.jpg

The Verdict

This is tied for my favourite breakfast sausage. It has a real sweet hit from the maple syrup that I really like! It is a great way to use pork trimmings.

Disco

D, Good looking sausage, I can almost smell those links from here ! I'm ready for the Coppa post !

Nice job there Disco, Love breakfast sausage.

Like!

Are those tetley tea bags in that container in the 3rd picture? Got attached to proper tea when I lived in the UK. My favorite was PG tips though.

John

Looks real good Disco!
I guess I'm getting lazy in my old age cause I don't link breakfast sausage anymore, just make patties!
Al

On my trip to Butte, Montana for a curling bonspiel, I found a nice whole pork butt. They are hard to find here and I really wanted one for a recipe I had for a coppa from the whole butt (look for the post soon). However, I still had about 1.7 kg (4 pounds) of pork left from the butt after removing the coppa. What could be better than making Maple Breakfast Sausage. You can find my recipe in this post: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/maple-breakfast-sausage.283928/

I mixed the spices:
View attachment 411655

I sprinkled them over the cubed pork butt and put it in the fridge for an hour:

View attachment 411656

I ground the pork twice through the medium plate of my grinder:

View attachment 411657

I put the pork in the fridge for 30 minutes to cool. Then I spread it on a tray, poked holes with my fingers and poured maple syrup over it:

View attachment 411658

I mixed it for 4 minutes by folding the meat in half and pressing it out. Then I turned the tray 1/4 turn and repeated:

View attachment 411659

I put the meat in the fridge and let it cool for an hour. Then I put it in my stuffer and put it in 23 mm (3/4 inch) collagen casings:

View attachment 411660

I pinched the casing every 4 inches and cut at the pinch:

View attachment 411661

I put the sausage on a tray and freeze for 2 hours before putting in vacuum sealed bags and in the freezer:

View attachment 411662

Of course you have to try some. I cooked mine with some potatoes:

View attachment 411663

The Verdict

This is tied for my favourite breakfast sausage. It has a real sweet hit from the maple syrup that I really like! It is a great way to use pork trimmings.

Disco
Made some this year. Simple project gone crazy. Instead of measuring the syrup out and then pouring in, decided I could measure it out over sausage. Whoops drop syrup bottle in sausege...glug glug. Went to pick it up and it squezed out of my hand ..glug ,glug . Finally got smart enough to lift by bottle neck. Oh so much syrup...still good but sweeter to say the least.

They look great. I'm saving this recipe.

Thanks for the kind words. I do love a sausage!

D, Good looking sausage, I can almost smell those links from here ! I'm ready for the Coppa post !

Thanks. The coppa post is an experiment. I ran into a guy who said his Italian family made a low heat baked coppa instead of cured in a chamber for months. He got me the recipe but it had way too much salt for me so I have changed it up and added more herbs to kick the flavour up. I'm going to smoke it and hope the less salt won't affect the texture. It is in a dry cure right now.

I'm going to make this soon, it looks awesome, thank you.

I hope you like it as much as I do.

Disco

Reactions: forktender
Really nice job and attention to detail, I love maple brekky sausage. LIKE! RAY

Thanks so much for the like, Ray!

Nice job Disco :emoji_thumbsup:
Richie

I appreciate that, Richie!

Nice job there Disco, Love breakfast sausage.

Like!

Are those tetley tea bags in that container in the 3rd picture? Got attached to proper tea when I lived in the UK. My favorite was PG tips though.

John

Thanks, John. I am a real tea granny. The bags are Typhoo orange pekoe and some berry herb tea. I use a bag of each in a pot to cut my caffeine.

Disco

Looks real good Disco!
I guess I'm getting lazy in my old age cause I don't link breakfast sausage anymore, just make patties!
Al

Har! That is a point of contention around here. She Who Must Be Obeyed always asks why I link. I just like the looks and texture. However, I often do a bulk batch for other recipes.

Made some this year. Simple project gone crazy. Instead of measuring the syrup out and then pouring in, decided I could measure it out over sausage. Whoops drop syrup bottle in sausege...glug glug. Went to pick it up and it squezed out of my hand ..glug ,glug . Finally got smart enough to lift by bottle neck. Oh so much syrup...still good but sweeter to say the least.

I've had experiences like that! I consider them "learning opportunites". She Who Must Be Obeyed refers to them as "stupid".

Disco

Reactions: kit s
Thanks for the kind words. I do love a sausage!

Thanks. The coppa post is an experiment. I ran into a guy who said his Italian family made a low heat baked coppa instead of cured in a chamber for months. He got me the recipe but it had way too much salt for me so I have changed it up and added more herbs to kick the flavour up. I'm going to smoke it and hope the less salt won't affect the texture. It is in a dry cure right now.

I hope you like it as much as I do.

Disco
I have a feeling that I will, I'm a sausage dipper.........boy that didn't sound right at all...lol.
Let's try this again, I've always dunked my breakfast sausage into maple syrup I've done since I was a little guy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky