• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Maple bacon

Jimmy Loos

Joined Jan 11, 2021
Good morning and thank you for letting me join. I've made bacon a number of times in the past but I've never flavored it with anything other than smoke. Until just recently I always cold smoked the bellies. A couple of weeks ago I tried hot smoking bellies and I am very impressed. I use a store bought cure and smoke in a Masterbuilt electric smoker. For me it works fantastic. I'd like to try and flavor the bacon with maple. Has anyone ever used maple extract as a flavoring agent? If so please explain the process.

Thank you
Jimmy (Don't touch my tongs) Loos
The Big daddio of the Patio
The Sultan of Smoke

sawhorseray

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2014
Welcome from Gilbert, AZ Jimmy! I've been making maple bacon for about 20 years now Jimmy, sometimes even add a little honey. Here's a thread on a batch I made a little while back, think this one I used some Mapeliene along with good Grade A syrup. Check it out and see if it works for you.

Maple-Honey, again, but a little different. | Smoking Meat Forums - The Best Barbecue Discussion Forum On Earth!

This one's more recent Jimmy. The maple flavor is there, tho not overpowering

Applewood Smoked Maple Bacon (illustrated) | Smoking Meat Forums - The Best Barbecue Discussion Forum On Earth!

I recently made a batch of breakfast sausage using a maple mix from PS Seasonings, if you're looking for a strong maple flavor try this stuff. RAY

No. 274 Maple Sausage Seasoning – PS Seasoning

Last edited:

Coreymacc

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 7, 2020
Maple bacon is simple. 1/4 cup kosher salt,1/4 cup maple syrup,1/4 cup maple sugar, 2 tsp cure for 5 lbs. Mix it all together and slather it on, cure for 5.to 7 days for the salt test you like. I've done hundreds of pounds with this recipe, awesome maple taste

Corey

Jimmy Loos

Joined Jan 11, 2021
Welcome from Gilbert, AZ Jimmy! I've been making maple bacon for about 20 years now Jimmy, sometimes even add a little honey. Here's a thread on a batch I made a little while back, think this one I used some Mapeliene along with good Grade A syrup. Check it out and see if it works for you.

Maple-Honey, again, but a little different. | Smoking Meat Forums - The Best Barbecue Discussion Forum On Earth!

This one's more recent Jimmy. The maple flavor is there, tho not overpowering

Applewood Smoked Maple Bacon (illustrated) | Smoking Meat Forums - The Best Barbecue Discussion Forum On Earth!

I recently made a batch of breakfast sausage using a maple mix from PS Seasonings, if you're looking for a strong maple flavor try this stuff. RAY

No. 274 Maple Sausage Seasoning – PS Seasoning
thanks for your help!!

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
Maple sugar is what I use. Replace the sugar with maple sugar. Cure for 2 weeks. Remove from the cure and add maple sugar again for a week. Then hang to dry then smoke.

mrq

Joined Aug 5, 2019
I'm another bacon newbie and greatly appreciate the recipes. If someone could add times and temp, I'd appreciate it. I tried making 1lb with applewood today. Tasty, but needed a little more salt. I rinsed it off after the brine. Should I have just gone from brine to smoker?
IMG_8875.jpeg

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.