Applewood Smoked Maple Bacon (illustrated)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
Last week I went to Costco and found they had pork belly. I dug thru them all and found the biggest, thickest one.
DSCN1585.JPG

When I got it home I cut the belly in half, knew then I'd picked a winner.
DSCN1586.JPG

Made a mix of 18grams Cure#1, 4.6 ounces canning salt, two ounces maple sugar, 1 cup pure 100% maple syrup. Stirred the mixture up to make a nice goo and applied a even amount to each half belly, rubbing it in all over, making sure to use it all, then double bagged the bellys in 2 gallon Ziplocs for a week in the fridge.
DSCN1587.JPG

I took the bellys out twice a day to massage and rotate them, after a week it was time for a warm water rinse and get fitted on some hooks
DSCN1605.JPG

I had my Pro 100 pre-heated to 100º with vents wide open, let them dry hanging for 2&1/2 hours. Added a pan of applewood chips and raise the smoker temp to 110º for the next five hours vents closed down to 1/3 open, then added another fresh pan and raised the temp to 135º for another five hours.
DSCN1607.JPG

After smoking for another five hours I took out the chip pan, closed the vents, and raised the temp on the Pro 100 to 170º. I had the alarm set on my TP-20 for 135º, poured a glass of Evan and fell asleep in front of the TV until the alarm went off, it had been a darned long day. After a couple hours on the kitchen counter I tossed the bellys in the fridge and called it a day. Up early this morning to set up the slicer and get to work, there's a lot to do today.
DSCN1609.JPG

This had the look of the best bacon of my smoking career, test fry verified that, ate it and forgot to take a pic.
DSCN1610.JPG
DSCN1611.JPG

Got everything vac-sealed and in the freezer
DSCN1616.JPG

With one project wrapped up there's a slight break for Bob's vet appointment to get a couple vaccinations, we're all set for some sausage making after that.

DSCN1617.JPG

More to come soon, thanks for looking. RAY

Fine looking Bacon!!
Nice Job, Ray!
Like.
Want to have some fun, do what I did with Mrs Bear:
I had a package with instructions like you have there.
So after I fried some Bacon I sat down right away.
She said, "What are you doing---Are you tired".
I said, "I'm following the instructions----I took it to 145°, with a meat thermometer, and now I'm taking the 3 minute rest!!"

Bear

Reactions: sawhorseray
Bacon looks awesome Ray! Nice job! Should give you a few 3 am breakfasts! Nice belly there too the last few times I have bought them they are hard to find thick like that.

Looks great! You got some nice color on that. Was a good slab you picked out

Ryan

Fine looking Bacon!! Nice Job, Ray! Like. Want to have some fun, do what I did with Mrs Bear: I had a package with instructions like you have there. So after I fried some Bacon I sat down right away. She said, "What are you doing---Are you tired". I said, "I'm following the instructions----I took it to 145°, with a meat thermometer, and now I'm taking the 3 minute rest!!" Bear

I seem to need about a fifteen minute rest, and a lot more often! Nope, we decided to check out some spring training next week instead John. Thanks for the like Bear, I appreciate it. RAY

Well that ought to keep you in bacon for a week or two!:emoji_sunglasses: Al

I'm hoping for a little longer than that Al, we're stocking up and becoming shut-ins trying to avoid the coronavirus! Thanks for the like, I appreciate it. RAY

Bacon looks awesome Ray! Nice job! Should give you a few 3 am breakfasts! Nice belly there too the last few times I have bought them they are hard to find thick like that.

I dug thru a ton of them John, everything weighed 10-11 pounds, and then I found this one. It's the best bacon made in over 15 years. Thanks for the like, I appreciate it. RAY

Man that looks great! Nice thick slab you got! I'll be waiting to see about the sausage as well!

Yeah, I never knew my local Costco had pork belly Travis, this was a heck of a lot better than the Mexican market I got my last one from! Thanks for the like, I appreciate it. RAY

Wo awesome looking bacon sure would go good for some BLT's or with eggs. Warren

It'd go well with a burger or a BELT (bacon, egg, lettuce, and tomato), one of my favorite sannys. Thanks for the like Warren, I appreciate it. RAY

Awesome looking bacon how did the maple flavor come out I've tried a few times with differing methods but have yet to get the maple flavor I'm looking for

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky