Mallards

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buckeyedude

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 5, 2018
Goint to try a couple Mallards today.
Both cavities are stuffedvwith apple and onion slices. Light coat of olive oil on both. One has just salt n pepper, the other one of our favorite Cajun/creole seasonings. Going 250° with apple smoke

Attachments

• IMG_20190203_103115617.jpg
    IMG_20190203_103115617.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: 73saint
One of my absolute favorite things to eat! And I’m glad to see you cooking the whole bird. Too many of my duck hunting buddies breast their birds out. Such a waste!

I would score the skin with a cross hatch to promote crispy skin
Granted it looks like it's too late now, but yeah.
Score through the skin only, not into the meat.
That or prick through the skin all over with a very sharp knife.

I also highly recommend salting and air drying poultry skin to get the best skin possible.
And duck is notoriously fatty and hard to render, especially in a smoker.

Granted it looks like it's too late now, but yeah.
Score through the skin only, not into the meat.
That or prick through the skin all over with a very sharp knife.

I also highly recommend salting and air drying poultry skin to get the best skin possible.
And duck is notoriously fatty and hard to render, especially in a smoker.
I usually cook mine at 375 in the oven, basting with a combo of worshestichire, butter, liquid smoke and kitchen bouquet. Also put bacon strips across the bird. Comes out great that way.

Thanks for the input. It turned out pretty good. I might try be a brine next time to see the difference.

Attachments

• IMG_20190203_173711222.jpg
    IMG_20190203_173711222.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 38
F411DA38-82A4-4AF1-B6DA-15D790D68C5C.jpeg

I do an overnight maple brine and then smoke 6-7 hours with hickory. Temps are around 130 if I’m doing a batch and freezing. After thawing then cook 18-20 min at 375 so you have the equivalent of a fresh hot smoked duck. As 73saint said, it’s a shame not to use the whole duck. I smoke my legs 4 hours and can them, with wild rice or cabbage. Man are they good that way!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky