Making Salami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

snakehead

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
Round Rock, TX
First, let me apologize for such a long post! Second, I thought I'd give you all a little history since many of you don't know me... Several years ago I became good friends with a gentlemen who built my house. Not only was he one of if not THE top builders in Texas at the time, but he was a great guy and we found we had some things in common. He and his wife and I all became good friends and since he was brewing his own beer and I'd always wanted to learn how to, we started doing that together. He quickly learned how much I liked to cook (including smoking meats) and that I once even owned an award winning salsa company. Well, I introduced him to this forum a long time ago, and you probably have read many of his ( tx smoker tx smoker ) awesome posts! Well, a few years ago I'd talk about how much I wanted to make my own salami because I really missed the Molinari San Francisco salami I used to get back when I lived in Silicon Valley. Well, time went by and I made bratwursts and such, but he decided to get into curing salami and then taught me how to do it as well.

I haven't been on here much in the last 2 years as I had a major accident and I literally died on Feb 8th, 2021 after falling nearly 10" off the roof of my house (luckily my son was able to resuscitate me while the ambulance was en-route!). I won't bore you with all the details here, but due to that I've not been able to post on my food blog or do much with my Youtube channel. However, due to my good friend Robert's ( tx smoker tx smoker ) encouragement, I'm getting back into it and here is me making salami yesterday.

Yesterday I decided to make 4 different kinds of salami. My recommendation is to stick with one kind at a time as it's a lot of work, takes a lot of time, and can get confusing when trying to make that many different kinds! I won't bore you with the grinding photos, but here are the 4 different meats ground up and ready to mix and stuff. One thing I did do differently this time, as I had some Elk in the freezer so I ground some of that up along with some chuck for the "lean beef" part of some of the recipes.

The first one is a Spanish Chorizo as I wanted to make my own for my Paella recipe.

IMG_1995.jpeg

Followed by Pepperoni for my homemade pizzas!

IMG_1994.jpeg

And I wanted to do a Spicy Sopprasetta because Robert had us over one time and his wife Tracy served this awesome spicy sopprasetta she had bought at one of the local stores, so I had to try making my own!

IMG_1993.jpeg

And last but not least, I had to try making my own version of Molinari's San Franciso Style Salami!
IMG_1996.jpeg

Now I got my stuffer all set up and ready to go:
IMG_2001.jpeg

Weighed out the salamis (forgot to take a picture of the first one)

IMG_2004.jpeg
IMG_2005.jpeg
IMG_2006.jpeg

And finally tied and hung them in a coat closet. Yes, you'll see a bottle in that pic for another hobby I want to try one day if it ever become legal :emoji_wink:

IMG_2008.jpeg

So now the plan is to weigh them in 3-4 days, and more over the next few weeks until they've lost about 30% of their weight, then they'll be ready to eat and/or put in the freezer until I'm ready to eat them!

Last edited:
That Robert, tx smoker tx smoker , is a pretty decent fella :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing: ! Glad to see ya back and at it. Looks like a great start on the salami. I'm in for the finish.

Jim

Thanks for the shout out my friend. Great to see you getting back in the saddle and that's a bunch of great looking sausages right there. Keep them coming and don't forget to take pics along the way. Please note: if you get advice from Keith ( indaswamp indaswamp ) you can take it to the bank. That man knows his stuff!!
And I wanted to do a Spicy Sopprasetta because Robert had us over one time and his wife Tracy served this awesome spicy sopprasetta she had bought at one of the local stores
Actually that was sopressata that I made, not store bought.

Robert

In for the ride since you keep such good company! Glad you made it through the challenge and are back at it.

Was busy earlier today and wanted to post a longer reply...

Glad you made it through your ordeal falling off the roof! And Glad you met Robert, he has told us about you and your fall. Looks like you are off to a great start with your salami. If ya got any questions, post them up....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky