[Making of] Red Windsor/Red Leicester Port Cheddar Mashup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LoydB

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 31, 2022
Start with the money shot:

1686767020573.png

A huge percentage of my cheesemaking knowledge has come from Gavin Webber's YouTube channel. One of the most important things he does is the after-action comments both after making a cheese, and after first tasting.

Orignally, I was going to make this Red Windsor cheese:

In his review of the recipe, he decided that he should have a) used a real cheddar recipe rather than the farmhouse version he went with, b) shorten the Port soak from 2 hours to 1 hour and c) Make the curds larger for the soak.

So armed with that knowledge, I looked at his Red Leicester cheddar recipe. Unlike the Red Windsor, where the 'Red' is from the soak in port win, the 'Red' in the Leicester version is from the vivid yellow obtained by using annato dye.

So I decided to do a mashup, where I used the Red Leicester cheddar recipe & process, but at the very end, prior to salting, I'd do a one hour port soak.

Here we go on the process. Up until this first picture, it looks exactly like making every single cheese I've ever done - put milk in pot, warm, add culture, sit, add rennet (and annato in this case), let it sit for awhile, cut up the curds, and stir while heating as prescribed. Finally, after all this is done, the curds were poured into a muslin cloth inside a colander. Now we begin.

The curds (vivid yellow from the annato) will sit here half an hour and drain.

1686771681563.png

Now we start the cheddaring process (I had no idea this was what cheddaring was until I started making cheese). The resulting slab is cut into 2" wide planks, and they're put in a colander to drain. My oven has a good low-temp proof control that I set to 90 degrees F. Every 30 minutes for a total of 2.5 hours (four flips total) you break the mass up a little and put the planks that were on the bottom of the colander on to the top. You can see how much whey they lose from the start (where it looks like velveeta logs) to the end.

1686771703329.png

1686771710263.png

1686771718798.png

1686771726378.png

After cheddaring, I broke the curds up. I went with larger pieces that I would normally do with a cheddar because I didn't want there to be so much surface area for the port. Dump the port in, let it sit for an hour, then drain into a colander.

1686771741817.png

1686771759502.png

1686771774014.png

I let it drain for 5 minutes then mixed in the salt.

1686771784875.png

1686771809393.png

Next, into a muslin-lined mold.

1686771814579.png

I like my cheese press, but I don't think it's particularly accurate for lower weights, so I started off with a 15# press using real weights for 30 mins.

1686771821359.png

If I do this again, I'll use 25# and go for a little longer, it was insanely crumbly at the first flip.

1686771830838.png

After the second series of pressing, it's starting to come together better, but there are still chunks on the edge that fell off.

1686771843783.png

The final press was 24 hours at 50#-60#. It knitted together pretty well with the exception of one small chunk of the rim that stuck to the muslin.

1686771858502.png

Now it dries for a few days, then will get vac sealed and put in the cave for 4 months.

Amazing! I swear I have to at least make some cheddar when I retire. Do you put it in a literal cave?

A huge percentage of my cheesemaking knowledge has come from Gavin Webber's YouTube channel. One of the most important things he does is the after-action comments both after making a cheese, and after first tasting.

In his review of the recipe, he decided that he should have a) used a real cheddar recipe rather than the farmhouse version he went with, b) shorten the Port soak from 2 hours to 1 hour and c) Make the curds larger for the soak.

So armed with that knowledge, I looked at his Red Leicester cheddar recipe. Unlike the Red Windsor, where the 'Red' is from the soak in port win, the 'Red' in the Leicester version is from the vivid yellow obtained by using annato dye.

So I decided to do a mashup, where I used the Red Leicester cheddar recipe & process, but at the very end, prior to salting, I'd do a one hour port soak.

Here we go on the process. Up until this first picture, it looks exactly like making every single cheese I've ever done - put milk in pot, warm, add culture, sit, add rennet (and annato in this case), let it sit for awhile, cut up the curds, and stir while heating as prescribed. Finally, after all this is done, the curds were poured into a muslin cloth inside a colander. Now we begin.

View attachment 667926

Now we start the cheddaring process (I had no idea this was what cheddaring was until I started making cheese). The resulting slab is cut into 2" wide planks, and they're put in a colander to drain. My oven has a good low-temp proof control that I set to 90 degrees F. Every 30 minutes for a total of 2.5 hours (four flips total) you break the mass up a little and put the planks that were on the bottom of the colander on to the top. You can see how much whey they lose from the start (where it looks like velveeta logs) to the end.

View attachment 667927

View attachment 667928
View attachment 667929
View attachment 667930
After cheddaring, I broke the curds up. I went with larger pieces that I would normally do with a cheddar because I didn't want there to be so much surface area for the port. Dump the port in, let it sit for an hour, then drain into a colander.

View attachment 667931

View attachment 667932
View attachment 667933

View attachment 667934
View attachment 667935

View attachment 667936

I like my cheese press, but I don't think it's particularly accurate for lower weights, so I started off with a 15# press using real weights for 30 mins.

View attachment 667937

If I do this again, I'll use 25# and go for a little longer, it was insanely crumbly at the first flip.

View attachment 667938

After the second series of pressing, it's starting to come together better, but there are still chunks on the edge that fell off.

View attachment 667939

The final press was 24 hours at 50#-60#. It knitted together pretty well with the exception of one small chunk of the rim that stuck to the muslin.

View attachment 667940

Now it dries for a few days, then will get vac sealed and put in the cave for 4 months.

That looks drool-worthy. i guess I'll have to continue buying. I barely have patience or a 12 hour butt smoke on the WSM.

Wow, that cheese looks amazing. I love the effect from the port soak on the outside of the curds.

Cool looking cheese! Better tie a rope around my waste and the other end to a 2 X 4... don't want to fall too far down another rabbit hole!

Ryan

View attachment 667926

View attachment 667927

View attachment 667928
View attachment 667929
View attachment 667930

View attachment 667931

View attachment 667932
View attachment 667933

View attachment 667934
View attachment 667935

View attachment 667936

View attachment 667937

View attachment 667938

View attachment 667939

View attachment 667940

That is impressive!

- Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky