• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Making My 1st Canadian Bacon w/ Cure View

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2009
Nothing like homemade!
 I like that slicer you have, how old is that?

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Awesome Supper---Be an even better Breakfast.

Scott,

You probably already did this, but just as a reminder to any newbies who see this---

Since the CB was already smoked to 162˚, you could actually eat it cold.

Scott probably did what I would do, just warm it up to add to those super sammies in the pics.

That way it doesn't "toughen up".

I pull my CB somewhere between 160˚ and 165˚, because there are usually a number of pieces in the smoker.

Not sure what the minimum is---maybe 155˚ or 152˚----I feel safer over 160˚, and the taste is no different.

Thanks for showing, Scott,

Bear

alelover

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 9, 2010
Don't know how old the slicer is. Bought it off Ebay for 30 bucks about 10 years ago. I had one like it in the 80's but let an XGF keep it. It's pretty old I'm sure. Still works good. Wish I could find a new blade for it though.

Yes Bear it does taste good cold but it's better fried for about a minute. Softens up the fat and makes it juicier. Since most bacteria die at 160 I always feel safer going above it. 160 is the magic number when brewing beer. Whenever you're below it you need to be careful.

alelover

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 9, 2010
"Awesome Supper---Be an even better Breakfast."

It was breakfast. Just at night. Tomato-Tomahto.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Yes Bear it does taste good cold but it's better fried for about a minute. Softens up the fat and makes it juicier. Since most bacteria die at 160 I always feel safer going above it. 160 is the magic number when brewing beer. Whenever you're below it you need to be careful.
See below:

"Awesome Supper---Be an even better Breakfast."

It was breakfast. Just at night. Tomato-Tomahto.
 Perfect--My feelings exactly on both !        

Bear

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.