Maken Bacon is all new to me!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rasorbackq

Original poster
Dec 30, 2013
 Just harvested my first pig  a couple weeks ago.  Want to make bacon and hams . Just built a smoker. Not fancy but will see.

Glad you joined us rasorbackq and congrats on your first pig! :welcome1:
Any questions on curing belly or smoking slabs, let us know!

Welcome aboard!  Glad you joined the group.  Good luck with your bacon and hams...lots of help here when you need it, just ask and someone will have the answer.

Red

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

So I mixed up a batch of Pop brine for some bacon.   Up to  about 11 days  now and is the Pops brine supposed to go to a mucous texture?

Awesome!!! Welcome
You will find plenty of friendly folks with great advice on this forum. Lt the search bar at the top of the page be your new friend. There are over 1 million post on this forum. And that a lot of powerful knowledge right at your finger tips. Or just ask! If you have not checked it out already, Give Jeff's 5 day ecourse a try. It is free and full of great information to make you an even better smoker.
Again Welcome post a pic of your smoker in the smoker guid area!
Brian

You didn't answer my question about the mucous texture that pops brine has turned too.

Email or pm pops about his brine. he will be your best answer. I'm thinking that if it does not smell bad that you have got a amount of collagen that made it thick.

Noticed today the ham  brine was super thick and now its started to smell like its fermenting.

The bacon we set up is ok but we lined  the bucket with a plastic turkey bag and now the bag is growing green mold above the bacon. Think I will smoke the bacon and save the 20 lbs of meat.

My last rub was only in for 7 days  so I would assume the brine has penetrated in 14 days.

Forgot to mention I removed the hams  washed  dried and will be in the smoker box today.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky