Make your own English muffins

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'd take a dozen of them off your hands WOW nicely done Sir
Richie
Thanks Richie! Fun and tasty way to pass some time one afternoon.

Wow!!
Those look Outstanding!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear. And thanks for the like. We're down to two. Almost time to spend another $1 in the kitchen.

Whipped our another 12 muffin batch today. Five muffins were made using the 4" tart rings I got for Christmas. WAAAY easier scooping, flipping, and moving the precooked muffins using the rings. Ordered more rings from Amazon.

This is what the poolish looks like after an overnight fermentation on the counter in a cereal bowl.
20210108_064346.jpg

Took several more pics that looked like crap. But the final result tuned out nicely.
20210108_155102.jpg

So, it's been a while since I've made English muffins. My wife received some unique honey flavors for Christmas, so as I'm leaving for the store this morning she says pick up a major brand of English muffins. Imagine my shock when 6 EMs were almost a buck a piece! She got her muffins, but I'm making a double batch this weekend (24 muffins) to put in freezer. And the cost will be less than half the price of 6.

Reactions: chopsaw
So, it's been a while since I've made English muffins. My wife received some unique honey flavors for Christmas, so as I'm leaving for the store this morning she says pick up a major brand of English muffins. Imagine my shock when 6 EMs were almost a buck a piece! She got her muffins, but I'm making a double batch this weekend (24 muffins) to put in freezer. And the cost will be less than half the price of 6.
in other words you got a kick in the pants
they always know what they're doing

Reactions: noboundaries
Not sure how I missed this before, I love English muffins, I’ve never thought to make them. This is an awesome thread to bookmark, they look amazing! Thank you!

I missed this one as well! I've been thinking about trying some using a little sourdough discard but maybe I'll try your recipe instead.
Pardon my ignorance, but I've not come across the term "poolish" before. What's that about?

Pardon my ignorance, but I've not come across the term "poolish" before. What's that about?

No problem at all. Poolish is a preferment, like an EASY sourdough starter that's ready overnight. By weight, it is equal parts flour and water. It adds a light sour flavor and leavening activity. Great for making pizza dough, too.

Talking of preferments, Biga is something similar for bread baking and pizza dough, but the water weight is only about 70% of the flour weight. I've got a thread in here somewhere about making biga bread.

Whipped our another 12 muffin batch today. Five muffins were made using the 4" tart rings I got for Christmas...
Thanks Ray. I learn so much on this forum. I initially thought you guys must be rich to not just section a 1# coffee can but these things in stainless steel are well within my price range. And with more uses than a cupcake pan, which we have no shortage of. Gotta' get some...both in 4-inch and 8cm (the weird 3.15" size.) Then maybe try your EM's...although I'm not much at baking anything that doesn't come from a box with dummy instructions.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky