Maiden smoke on my new SM066

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KM0AGA

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 25, 2022
Iowa
I decided to make a cheeseburger fatty as the initial cook on my SM066. I have never cooked one these before. I've done briskets, ribs, chicken, and butts. I figured the bacon weave and rolling would be more difficult than it actually was.

I set the smoker for 275 and cooked until the ground beef was 160. The cook took under two hours. The Cookshack probe was within 1 degree of my Thermoworks.

It looks good and smells good. I did not eat any because I'm going to take it to work with me tomorrow. I have one concern. The underside of the bacon looked undercooked. Do I have to worry about that?

Thanks.
20230116_135319.jpg
20230116_135333.jpg
20230116_135354.jpg
202301161401066114675706864140368 (1).jpg

So, I brought my Cheeseburger fatty to work and shared it with my solo coworker. I told him about the bacon and he said fu*k it, this thing smells great. I cut it in half and nuked my for 2 minutes (All I had to reheat). The whole office smelled like smoked meat. It was very good and smokey.

I am very impressed with this smoker. I have a 22 inch Webber kettle that I set up to smoke. It has the SNS set up as well as the Fireboard Pro 2 fan and temperature controller. I also used a gasket around the lid and I can run my Webber at what ever temperature I want with the Fireboard. I have smoked ribs, briskets, butts, and pork belly with no issues.

I am blown away by the amount of smoke flavor that the SM066 produces from 2 oz of wood. I would throw 6 ounces (estimate) wood in my Webber and not come close with the smoke flavor.

For now, I am very glad I bought this smoker. In my conversations with folks on this forum and the other smoking forum I am on, I see no reason for that to change.

I think a pork loin is next...

Reactions: normanaj
Awesome work for maiden voyage! That looks incredible! I’m sure the bacon was fine if your TT was that high, one of the challenges of fatties is getting the bacon crisp or at least attractive. If you crank the heat up heat when your IT is about 20 degrees from target the bacon will crisp up a bit more. Points!

Reactions: KM0AGA
My smoker tops out at 300. I will try that next time. I have the "material" to make a breakfast fatty. I'll do that this weekend.

Reactions: JLeonard
Nice job! Kinda makes me want to be a coworker...at lunchtime especially! Thin sliced bacon does work better than thick cut bacon...not sure what you used. I bought a used Cookshack smoker awhile back for $60, guess I should get it cleaned up...hears they are a heck of a smoker!

Ryan

Reactions: JLeonard
Great looking fatty. Nice of you to share with you work buddy and make every one jealous! LOL.

Jim

That looks awesome. Your big problem now is your coworkers will start expecting this from you all the time.

Good looking fattie. I reheat them at work with the nuker also - works fine.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: KM0AGA
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky