Maerbuilt Electric New Guy....hmmmmm

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

prairiechicken

Original poster
Sep 4, 2016
Here comes the new guy. Masterbuilt electric smoker, followed the Bear Recipe for beef brisket. Used the provided MasterBuilt thermometer, and also my Maverick internal thermometer. Brisket was 4.5  pounds. Instructions call for meet to be Foiled when internal hits 160 degrees. I have smoker temp set at 220, but 4.5 brisket reached 160 in just 2 hours? I lowered temp to 212 but still rising....Any ideas on why the quick runup to 160 on the brisket.

They just do that sometimes. Every piece of meat is different.

Try putting the temp the probe in a couple of different places.

It should be as close to the middle of the brisket as possible.

Also would you swing by "Roll Call" & introduce yourself.

Then we can all give you a proper welcome.

Al

Odds are you are cooking hotter than you think. The stock therms are known to be off, sometimes by quite a bit.

Get a therm with a ambient temp probe like a maverick 732 or 733.

Totally agree....I used the Maverick after about 2 hours..there was about an 8 degree variance in the temp. I ended up going more by time than all temperature. After about 4 hours...I went to the foil wrap ( was using BEAR's recipe for MasterBuilt), and ended up with a nice piece of meat for a rookie. Tender....had a nice coating on the outside too.

Looks great!  We call that "bark" on the outside of the brisket.  
thumb1.gif

points1.png

Mike

Thanks MIKE.....I don't think I'm gonna put any BAR B QUE joints outta business...but I'm livin large today! HAHAH.....Hey, some references to BEAR and his MASTERBUILT electric recipe base. Can't seem to locate....got a link to where I can find more MASTERBUILT recipes...
drool.gif

Your Brisket looks good from the Bear Den, Prairie!!!
drool.gif

Hope it tasted as good as it looks.
drool.gif

Best thing is to use both Maverick probes, and go entirely by them.

I only use my MES readout to get the heat to go to what I want my Maverick to say.

BTW: You can always find my Step by Step Index---The link is at the bottom of all of my posts. That's almost 23,000 places.

Bear

Last edited:
Looking at the step by step ( tremendous help!!!)....what is the

AMNS?

Chicken's gotta walk before they run....

~~Any recommendations on which unit would work best for a newbie? Do you think the wood chip device with the MB40 does not produce enough smoke? Guide me along the barbeque highway....I don't really see a lot of places that sell sawdust, so wondered if one of the other units would be easier to find material and use,etc.? Again..looking for some ideas on why this device is used, and which I should move toward.

~~Any recommendations on which unit would work best for a newbie? Do you think the wood chip device with the MB40 does not produce enough smoke? Guide me along the barbeque highway....I don't really see a lot of places that sell sawdust, so wondered if one of the other units would be easier to find material and use,etc.? Again..looking for some ideas on why this device is used, and which I should move toward.
The best one would be the 5" X 8" AMNPS, unless you are at high altitude.

With that you can use Pellets or Sawdust.

The built in chip burner in an MES won't give a consistent continuous smoke, without stopping or getting too heavy.

High altitude calls for the Tube AMNTS

I've been using my AMNPS for 6 years, since it came out---AMNS before that.

Once you learn to get it lit properly & where to put it in YOUR smoker, it's so nice to get up to 11 hours of smoke without messing with it.

Bear

Thanks Bear...looks like the  5 x 8 AMNPS is the one for me.....That's one small step for da PrairieChicken...one giant leap for the Barbeque Man.

Thanks Bear...looks like the  5 x 8 AMNPS is the one for me.....That's one small step for da PrairieChicken...one giant leap for the Barbeque Man.
As a tip, I would avoid Cherry Pellets----Hard to keep them burning.

It comes with instructions, but if you have any problems, PM me.

Bear

Got it ordered, along with some Hickory pellets. Thanks for the help.....hmmmmmm....how to you light the pellets....propane hand held torch??

Got it ordered, along with some Hickory pellets. Thanks for the help.....hmmmmmm....how to you light the pellets....propane hand held torch??
Yup---Personally I use a Bernzomatic (Fat Boy) to light the pellets, because you can really drive that flame deep into the pellets.

However when I use Sawdust, I use a more wimpy little Butane torch, because the power of the propane torch makes it hard to keep from blowing the dust out of the tray.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky