Maerbuilt Electric New Guy....hmmmmm

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Go the MAZE smoker and pellets ready to go. One last thing......If I am reading the manual correctly...I lay the pellets along the maze and light the pellets at the smoke hole. Do the pellets at this point "cath" the other pellets on fire....or do I have to put the torch directly on the whole length of pellets from the top? Also..I let these burn about 10 minutes then blow out and place inside the MasterB? Can you walk me through the technique just to be sure.......Tip of the hat to ya!!!

Bear has been giving you some great advise. When it comes to using an AMNPS in a MES John is a true master!!! I've tried all his recommendations for using mine in my MES 30 gen 1. Apparently I'm not as I never had any luck with it--couldn't keep it lit--so I did the mailbox mod and it is fantastic. If it turns out you need it, just do a search for mailbox mod and get a world of info.

Gary

Last edited:

Go the MAZE smoker and pellets ready to go. One last thing......If I am reading the manual correctly...I lay the pellets along the maze and light the pellets at the smoke hole. Do the pellets at this point "cath" the other pellets on fire....or do I have to put the torch directly on the whole length of pellets from the top? Also..I let these burn about 10 minutes then blow out and place inside the MasterB? Can you walk me through the technique just to be sure.......Tip of the hat to ya!!!
Here's a Great Thread.

If you have a Heat gun, follow Post #1.

If you don't have a heat gun, look at my Post #2:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/140859/how-i-light-my-amnps-w-video-link

Bear

Tried my first batch of pork ribs ( Bear #2 recipe step by step). I seemed to have a hard time keeping the pellets going but finally got them going. Problem is it raised the temp in the MASTER quickly, and I had to toggle the temp setting to get it down. It produced some great smoke though. I played with the MB wood ship filler slide in, giving more air, taking less air, etc. Seemed to help a bit but got a lot of YO YO on the temps. I am using a Maverick Digital read to go by..the MB built in temp is off about 10 degrees. Anyway......aside from the above...I had a real problem getting the MB to go up in temp .....noted that the manual says that an Extension Cord is not to be used, etc. I have a heavy duty 20 foot extension running and wondered if this could be part of the problem getting it up in temp and maintain.? You guys seeing some things I need to work on...? Looks like I might go with the MAILBOX idea...but just wanted to make sure I got the basics down....

Tried my first batch of pork ribs ( Bear #2 recipe step by step). I seemed to have a hard time keeping the pellets going but finally got them going. Problem is it raised the temp in the MASTER quickly, and I had to toggle the temp setting to get it down. It produced some great smoke though. I played with the MB wood ship filler slide in, giving more air, taking less air, etc. Seemed to help a bit but got a lot of YO YO on the temps. I am using a Maverick Digital read to go by..the MB built in temp is off about 10 degrees. Anyway......aside from the above...I had a real problem getting the MB to go up in temp .....noted that the manual says that an Extension Cord is not to be used, etc. I have a heavy duty 20 foot extension running and wondered if this could be part of the problem getting it up in temp and maintain.? You guys seeing some things I need to work on...? Looks like I might go with the MAILBOX idea...but just wanted to make sure I got the basics down....
It's hard to nail down various problems without knowing a number of things:

Like Where was the AMNPS in regards to the MES Temp sensor on the back wall?

Were any of the racks nearly covered with Ribs or Pans or Foil?

Other things unforeseen can affect the heat variance (Yo Yo).

A heavy enough duty Ext Cord shouldn't be a problem.

Bear

I had the AMNPS on the third rack down from the top...on the front left hand side.The rib slab was on the second rack and covered pretty much the entire surface. I had the water pan over the heating element, but did not have any liquid in the pan. The bottom drip catch pan was in it's normal position. Thanks for the advice....

Had an extra mailbox here....so going to try the mailbox attachment. Just wondered if the placement of the mailbox is critical to the smoke getting into the MES40? Does it have to be a certain distance below or even with the MES? Does it make a difference? Also....about the draft hole in the door of the mailbox...I have the 3 inch cut on the rear and hookup to the MES.....how large should the hole in the mailbox door be?

Had an extra mailbox here....so going to try the mailbox attachment. Just wondered if the placement of the mailbox is critical to the smoke getting into the MES40? Does it have to be a certain distance below or even with the MES? Does it make a difference? Also....about the draft hole in the door of the mailbox...I have the 3 inch cut on the rear and hookup to the MES.....how large should the hole in the mailbox door be?
I would ask Dave Omak about that---He seems to be the Master of the Mailbox Mod.

I never paid much attention to it, because all 3 of my MES units have worked perfectly with the AMNPS, without the MB.

Bear

Thanks Bear....probably just the " rookie" in me having the problem with the AMNPS. Should be  simple...it's Either air supply or something particular to the pellets. I would suspect it is air flow..they seem to light but go out. ....my "rookie" guess would be the starving for air approach. Anyway...had some time, had a mailbox...and some assorted piping laying around....idle minds, find things to do. Thanks again.

Thanks Bear....probably just the " rookie" in me having the problem with the AMNPS. Should be  simple...it's Either air supply or something particular to the pellets. I would suspect it is air flow..they seem to light but go out. ....my "rookie" guess would be the starving for air approach. Anyway...had some time, had a mailbox...and some assorted piping laying around....idle minds, find things to do. Thanks again.
I have found that the normal reasons for AMNPS going out are:

Not lit good enough before putting it in the smoker. Gotta get a really good red cigar-like cherry deep into the bottom of the pellets.

Not put in the best place for air flow.

Wet, damp, or humidity absorbed in pellets.

Bad pellets.

High Altitude.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky