Made the bacon loaf into fibrous casings this time.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

reinhard

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 6, 2013
Andover Minnesota
Last time i made Curley's bacon seasoning mix into a loaf form and smoked it and it turned out great.  Tasted so good i decided to make it my go to summer sausage in fibrous casings.  I got the bag that is enough for 25 pounds so i've been digging into it, and this is my second 5 pound batch.  I tweeked it this time to add a little heat. Here is what i used:

5 pounds of beef chuck

1 tsp insta cure#1

6 T of Curley's bacon seasoning

1 T of crushed red pepper

3 tsp mustard seeds

2 T crushed garlic

1 cup of dry'd powdered milk

1 3/4 cups cold water

I'll make 25 pounds of this next time with the above formula.  Just enough heat as to not overpower the flavor. Here are some pics. Reinhard  [These are roughly 1 pound chubs}.

Last edited:
No. Willie, just smoked till 150 internal then cold bath.  I realy have to get into that poached deal.  Since i've been on here i'm realy interested in doing this.  Thanks for the compliment, that one tablespoon gave it just enough of a bite so not to overpower the taste. Reinhard

Looks really good Reinhard I was wondering if you can think of anything I could use that would be similar to curley's or maybe someone has figured out the recipe for it? I would like to do this tonight but can not get it on short notice.

Other than Curley's the only other place to get something like this is from OwensBBQ[as far as i know] .  I haven't tried their product yet but i bet it is similiar.  I'll go with Curley's for now.  Be nice to get the recipe or figure it out.  Reinhard

Last edited:
Woodcutter, no i just used the chuck. I buy them when they are on sale and freeze them.  Chuck roasts seem to have the right amount of fat and marbling for summer sausage.  As you probably know, it is a tasty cut of beef.  If i cant find the roast on sale i use ground chuck which is 80% lean, but i do prefer grinding my own [just old fashion i guess].  The ground chuck works great too. Reinhard

Looks great Reinhard..............
icon14.gif
         Your making me want some........

I'm definitely liking the idea of stuffing them into the SS casings. I've been wanting to try these ground bacon mixes for a long time now after seeing MossyMo doing it a few years ago but I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Thanks everyone.  My brother wants cheese and jalapenos in his bacon summer.  Bringing me his venison.  This stuff is great the way it is, but i think most of us like to tweek sausage in general.  I have seen Mossy make the loaf version with the Owens seasoning and it does have a maple cure pack with it.  I'm not into maple too much so i haven't tried it.  Rbramstmer go ahead and pull the trigger, you will like it.  Next time i will buy the pack that makes 100 pounds so i can make more 5-10 or 25 pound batches with different add on's for the family. Reinhard

Dang that looks good. Got to go on my bucket list. Will have to try this after my first batch of bacon is done. Maybe I'll get lucky and have some venison to mix in.

Thanks again guy's.  Bamafan, i do hope you get some of that venison. I didn't get a deer this year but plenty of memories of just being out there.  However my brother got one and a friend up on the border got some so i think there is some venison comming my way and bacon summer caught their interests also.  So i'll be grinding up some venny also [ill be making polish also for them].  Reinhard

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky