Made some Jack today... Will smoke later

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks good.

I need to learn to make cheese.

popcorn.gif
I will be fallowing this thread

Happy smoken and keep the pics coming

David

Its pretty simple just takes time and it's boring. Kinda like sausage making or beer brewing. I spent over an hour today just stirringa pot!

What gives the Jack it's specific flavor over just using rennet to make the curd?...JJ

Most differences in in cheese cone from procedure differences. Such things as times and temperatures. And just like in making beer with ale yeast vs lager yeast you have different strains of cultures or starters for different cheeses. it this cheese was made with a mesophilic starter culture which is used for such things as jack, corby, cheddar, gouda, Stilton, exam, and munster. The procedure is what changes it after that. it how long you let it set, how big you cut the curds, if you rinse it, when you stir, how you age it, etc

Hope that helps a bit...

Sorry I have to say this but that recipe comes directly out of "artisan cheesemaking at home" by Mary Karlin to protect her royalties and hard work, I wouldn't be able to share. But I do highly recommend her book if you want to learn. Its been great!

Looks good JTupper. I want to learn to make cheese too. If the stirring gets boring, I'll just have my mother in law take over......she loves to stir the pot.
wife.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky