Made some Jack today... Will smoke later

Discussion in 'Cheese' started by jtupper, Jul 15, 2013.

1. jtupper

jtupper Fire Starter

Made up two pounds of Monterey Jack today while I was working on some sausage. I plan on smoking at least half of it upon completion in a month.

cutting the curd

pressing the cheese

2. Looks good.

I need to learn to make cheese.

[​IMG]I will be fallowing this thread

Happy smoken and keep the pics coming

David

3. jtupper

jtupper Fire Starter

Its pretty simple just takes time and it's boring. Kinda like sausage making or beer brewing. I spent over an hour today just stirringa pot!

4. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

What gives the Jack it's specific flavor over just using rennet to make the curd?...JJ

5. I can make sausage of all sorts. I can make a lot of differant beers I can start with corn and [​IMG]! I can smoke cheese

I need to learn to make cheese [​IMG]  I can stir the pot.

David

6. jtupper

jtupper Fire Starter

Most differences in in cheese cone from procedure differences. Such things as times and temperatures. And just like in making beer with ale yeast vs lager yeast you have different strains of cultures or starters for different cheeses. it this cheese was made with a mesophilic starter culture which is used for such things as jack, corby, cheddar, gouda, Stilton, exam, and munster. The procedure is what changes it after that. it how long you let it set, how big you cut the curds, if you rinse it, when you stir, how you age it, etc

Hope that helps a bit...

7. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Do mind sharing the recipe? We've made cheese but never Jack, and we love smoked pepper jack!

8. kathrynn

kathrynn Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Cool!  A new trick for here!

Kat

9. jtupper

jtupper Fire Starter

Sorry I have to say this but that recipe comes directly out of "artisan cheesemaking at home" by Mary Karlin to protect her royalties and hard work, I wouldn't be able to share. But I do highly recommend her book if you want to learn. Its been great!

10. humdinger

humdinger Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks good JTupper. I want to learn to make cheese too. If the stirring gets boring, I'll just have my mother in law take over......she loves to stir the pot.[​IMG]

11. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Mmmmmmm............. Cheeseeeeeeeee!

12. jtupper

jtupper Fire Starter

Started a new cheese tonight and with that a new post. For those of you looking to start making cheese I included a simple recipe for Queso Blanco that can be made completley with househole ingredients.

Enjoy

Fire Roasted and Cracked Black Pepper Queso Blanco