Made my first brats...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SherryT

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Crawford AL
1st Brats-loose.jpg
1st Brats.jpg

2 pounds butt, used KA grinder attachment and KA stuffer attachment...

I had no idea how much casing to use, so I pulled out two pieces, each "about" 3' long. Got them soaked and rinsed in/out.

Ground the meat/made the sausage, put it in the fridge to cool down, broke out the stuffer attachment and got busy.

As you can see, I have some air pockets here and there (pricked with a needle)...you'll also notice the patty of meat...

I initially had a sausage that was about 3' long (maybe a bit less). While I was trying to even out the uneven spots, it broke, so I squished the meat out of the ends to have enough casing to tie a knot and ened up with what you see here.

The sausage itself is delicious, but let me just go on record NOW by saying I WILL be buying a proper stuffer and grinder (in that order).

NUTS TO THAT KA STUFFER CONTRAPTION! It was almost like it didn't want to feed the meat even when I was using the plunger.

Life's far too short for that nonsense! :eek:

Last edited:
Atleast you got it done. Definitely need a stuffer. The KA works as a grinder just slow.

Most important part, how was the brats?

View attachment 353111 View attachment 353112

2 pounds butt, used KA grinder attachment and KA stuffer attachment...

I had no idea how much casing to use, so I pulled out two pieces, each "about" 3" long. Got them soaked and rinsed in/out.

Ground the meat/made the sausage, put it in the fridge to cool down, broke out the stuffer attachment and got busy.

As you can see, I have some air pockets here and there (pricked with a needle)...you'll also notice the patty of meat...

I initially had a sausage that was about 3' long (maybe a bit less). While I was trying to even out the uneven spots, it broke, so I squished the meat out of the ends to have enough casing to tie a knot and ened up with what you see here.

The sausage itself is delicious, but let me just go on record NOW by saying I WILL be buying a proper stuffer and grinder (in that order).

NUTS TO THAT KA STUFFER CONTRAPTION! It was almost like it didn't want to feed the meat even when I was using the plunger.

Life's far too short for that nonsense! :eek:

They look good!
LOL I just replied to a post of yours on another thread with some tips on buying a stuffer and a grinder.
The short of it is to buy a stuffer that can hold a couple more pounds of meat than what you normally stuff. So if you often do 10 pounds then buy a stuffer that is suppose to hold 11-12+ pounds because it is always 1-2 pounds shy of what it claims and as you can see loading once and stuff saves a huge amount of time over reloading and fighting with it.

For a grinder, one that has all metal parts (gears, face plate, etc.) and IMPORTANT one that doesn't heat up. Do this and you will have one that has no problem grinding and you won't have to fool with putting all the parts in the freezer or having your grinder heat up and pre-cook the meat lol.

Best of luck and welcome to the sausage club! :)

Atleast you got it done. Definitely need a stuffer. The KA works as a grinder just slow.

Most important part, how was the brats?

I did a fry test and it was so good I did another! :D I'll cook them for supper tomorrow night. I "intended" to grill them, but rain is forecast, so braising it is.

Congrats on the first links! A stuffer is something every sausage maker eventually realizes is a necessity.

Tell me about it!

They look good!
LOL I just replied to a post of yours on another thread with some tips on buying a stuffer and a grinder.
The short of it is to buy a stuffer that can hold a couple more pounds of meat than what you normally stuff. So if you often do 10 pounds then buy a stuffer that is suppose to hold 11-12+ pounds because it is always 1-2 pounds shy of what it claims and as you can see loading once and stuff saves a huge amount of time over reloading and fighting with it.

For a grinder, one that has all metal parts (gears, face plate, etc.) and IMPORTANT one that doesn't heat up. Do this and you will have one that has no problem grinding and you won't have to fool with putting all the parts in the freezer or having your grinder heat up and pre-cook the meat lol.

Best of luck and welcome to the sausage club! :)

Thanks for the info!

Awesome looking sausage on your first try, especially with the KA.
I did my first sausage with the KA too, and that was the last time I did that.
But now you will know how much better & easier it is to have a dedicated grinder & stuffer!
Al

Reactions: SherryT
Sure!

The recipe calls for cardamom and lemon zest, but as I had neither, I subbed ground coriander and omitted the zest. I also used heavy cream instead of milk.

It tastes close to what I remember having in Germany (Frankfurt) many years ago.

Here's the link:

https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes/german/bratwurst-egg-milk

Hi
FWIW, regarding the zest and cream: in my brat recipe for 5# meat, I use 1 cup heavy cream like you did, and 20 drops lemon extract instead of the zest. It helped make it taste authentic to me, too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky