Lump Charcoal vs Briquette Amounts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mbohler

Original poster
Jun 15, 2016
I am new to the smoking world but learned quickly that lump charcoal is the way to go.  Is there anything that tells you how much lump to use?  I have a chart for my Weber smoker that says for pork butt you start with 75 briquettes and add as necessary...  how much lump is that?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Personally, I think Weber is pretty darned optimistic with making a chart like that. There are so many variables. Ambient temp, wind, size and density of the meat and how many times you peek just to name a few. Try to judge by trial, error and practice. Look at the quantity of your cook and how long. Put in what you think will be enough. If it's too much or too little, make an adjustment next time. It's just like wood splits. You can't remove two, half burned pieces of wood after you're done with cooking.

Good luck and have fun and some good food while you're figuring it out. Joe

I usually just fill mine up. When your done cooking just shut all the vents & the fire will go out.

Then next smoke just shake the ash off & use what's left, or add more as needed.

Al

I am with Al on this one just fill up and shut down all vents when your done. The rest of the coals will be saved for the next smoke!

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky