Lucky Catch! Any recipe recommendations?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Drap303

Original poster
Sep 26, 2019
Got lucky and found this guy on my patio. Not a lot of recipes online - any time/temp recommendations?
fmmxaj2lhyp31.jpg

I'd skin and gut him first. Maybe some refrigeration would be good. Then contact one of them Cajun Boys. I'd bet one of them or their Mom's could help you out...JJ

If you're serious he'll be skinned/gutted by now.
If you're that serious I can help you.

Smoked it just like a spatchcocked chicken.
Or
Dismember and fry/grill like chicken, serve with rice/gravy, grits, greens or beans.
Or
Chunk and cube it, flour and then brown and make a stew.

So... Are you serious?

When I was a Kid, I caught one in a #1-1/2 Muskrat Leg Trap. He was playing dead when I got there, so good there were maggots on his freaking Eyeballs!
I picked up the chain & next thing I knew he was climbing up the chain with his other 3 legs!!!!
After that I started carrying my Over & Under when I checked my Traps!!!

I wouldn't eat it. But that's just me.

Bear

Actually amazing critters to have around for big control,especially ticks.

I'm all for Live and Let Live as long as all they are eating is Bugs. If one of my Chickens is taken or I'm finding empty Egg Shells. That Critters next meal will be Lead!...JJ

Reactions: smokerjim
I have apple trees in the yard, and they love apples.
They get trapped in my garbage can a few times a year as well. I just reach in and grab them by the scruff of the neck.
They are all show, I've never had one even try to bite me.
I toss them into a dog create and drive them down to the river and let'um go. They are actually very passive animals, even if you try to get them to bite a stick they won't do it. They are ugly as sin, but they aren't hurt'in nothing around here, so I can't see killing them for no reason, plus they hunt and kill rats and mice.

Nobody mentioned how stupid Possums are!
I've seen 3 die in my area of Stupidity:
I don't know how many of you have seen how they sometimes sleep by hanging by their tails, but they just wrap their tails around a limb, and hang there to sleep. Well I've seen it 3 times where their tails got tied in a knot, and their weight pulled the knot tighter & tighter & tighter, until it got so tight that they couldn't get it untied. They just died in the hanging position. The first time I saw it, it was completely enclosed in a Bagworm Tent. I was just a Kid, and I was amazed when my Dad told me what happened to it. I saw it twice since during my Hunting & Fishing outings.(Without the Bagworm Tents)

Bear

I'll try anything, if the first time it is prepared by someone who knows what they are doing. Then I can take it from there. I had great Rattle Snake in Texas...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky