lowest temp possible to smoke a beef steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dutchslab

Original poster
Aug 16, 2020
Hi all, been a lurker forever (Meathead's Pastrami recipte made me lifer), and now finally made the jump to being a member!

I recently bought some cross rib steaks as I read they could rival ribeye when cooked right. I know I should have bought the roast vs the steak in hindsight, but now I have a few cross rib steaks that I'd like to cook slow and low.

I've read success stories (or close to them) when smoking these steaks at 200 until they are 130 IT, but I was wondering whats the absolute lowest temp I could smoke them at thats both safe, and would also contribute to breaking it down to make it more tender? If I could smoke em at 175 to 130 IT, is that safe/effective? They are relatively thin (< 1/2 inch) so I don't see them taking too long at any temp, just want to maximize it.

If smoking isn't the answer, I've seen sous vide at 24 hour recipes I may go for instead. Thanks in advance!

I ended up just sous viding it at 55C for 24 hours, came out awesome.

You can always do both. There is a souxvide channel where a guy named Guga will smoke some steaks, then finish them souxvide. I have smoked steak at 175 to 220 until internal is 125. Depending on thickness, that gives it plenty of time to get a good smoke flavor infused in it. Then I set it aside crank up the heat and open the sear plate and sear both sides for 1.5 mins a side. comes out perfect. Just did a tomahawk last week and posted pics of it cut open for doneness. i would have called mine between a medium rare to medium. There was no blood, it was all pink though.

Reactions: dutchslab
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky