Low Calorie Smoked Ham Frittata

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbally

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 24, 2007
Western Colorado
A low calorie low salt breakfast with smoked ham.  When completed this smoked ham frittata (the fancy word for baked omlete) is 225 calories per plated frittata.  The ham is heats to render off most of the fat.

Oven at 375 F.  I am doing this in mini everyday pans, but you can do this in any oven proof vessel that is non-reactive.  Cast iron fry pans work excellent if they have a great season layer on them.  You need 6 eggs, 1/2 cup bell pepper diced, 1/4 cup diced onion, little bit of jalapeno diced, pepper, smoked apple cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup diced rendered cured smoked ham, 6 ounce Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup saltine crackers (I use low salt version), 2 teaspoon caraway seed?

Mix all the ingredients except the eggs and the cheese in a large bowl, in a separate bowl scramble up the eggs and mix in the cheese, then fold all of it together in the large bowl.  Pour into your everyday pan, or other non-reactive baking pan.  (at least 9 X 9 in volume).  Bake this off for 18 to 21 minutes, until a knife stuck in the center comes out clean.  This makes 3 two egg portions for the meal.  Plus a dairy and a vegetable exchange.  It can be made vegetarian if done without the Ham, but the flavor profile goes down significantly, so I would replace the ham with a smoked tofu dice.

frittatapan.JPG

twinfritt.JPG

platedfrittata.JPG

I realized a long time ago that the reason most diets fail is the food sucks!  This is part of my continued effort to create low calorie meals that taste great and that you actually want to eat.  Moreover, meals that you could eat for the rest of your life.  That is not going to happen with the Weight Watcher frozen meals.  They are to expensive for the long term, don't contain what you really want to eat, and don't help you understand proper serving portions.

Not dieting this week so I can have 3...thank you!!

Craig

Those look awesome!  I put this on the to do list.  Keep posting those low cal recipes!  I created some high fiber low cal mini pizza's that I will have to do  Q view of next time.

Dang Bob!!

That looks and sounds awesome!

You ought to write a low calorie, low salt smoking book, but then I guess we'd have to pay for your great recipes???

Thanks a lot,

Bear

icon_cool.gif

Yes sir those are really good. The family wants thm all the time but I'm not so good about making them low fat maybe low salt but not low fat.

Those look great. We make them all the time too, only we use egg whites instead of whole eggs. Not much change in taste but a lot less calories & fat. 

Looks great, but where's the hot sauce???? I know its low salt and low cal. I can't have eggs without hotsauce!!!!

I use the chipotle tabasco on them.  But condiments are a personal choice, use what you want.

Ever try salsa chipolte from bufalo? Its quickly becoming one of my favorites! But i know,your right to each his own, its a matter of personal preference!

Ever try salsa chipolte from bufalo? Its quickly becoming one of my favorites! But i know,your right to each his own, its a matter of personal preference!

Not yet but I will... for winning one of the throwdowns Beer-B -Q sent me a whole lot of salsas and sauces, they are waiting for my superbowl party where everyone will get the chance to try that company's great products at my dipping sauce buffet!

sounds like ya got a winner planned! I've only tried their chipolte sauce and one of their salsas good products in my view. Gotta get my superbowl menu going,no idea what i'm going to make!!

sounds like ya got a winner planned! I've only tried their chipolte sauce and one of their salsas good products in my view. Gotta get my superbowl menu going,no idea what i'm going to make!!
I am thinking of trimming down and shaping a mess of the boneless skinless chicken thighs and preparing them as smoked wings to dip in the sauces.  Then some meatballs for sauce dipping as well.  Have not decided on a beef offering, but the seafood for the sauces will be sea scallops for sure.  I might do some chuck tenders as the beef dish for dipping.

>>>> at my dipping sauce buffet!  

What time does this party start???

hehehehehe

Craig

>>>> at my dipping sauce buffet!  

What time does this party start???

hehehehehe

Craig

Starts about four hours before the game because "if the smokes stinking bbally is drinking!"

Nice have Beer-B-Q as a party sponsor this year.  Actually think a lot of the guys and gals will order up some sauces from the place.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky