Lost my father in-law...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
Just got back from burying my father in-law... He lived out of town, my wife was traveling on business and had to divert to the hosp in another state. I caught the first flight. He went quickly which was comforting. The emotional aftermath is rough. Stirred all kinds of memories about losing my father to an accident 11 years ago. My wife was the only family her father was close with. So she was it, and I think that made it harder. "we" only had a few days to try to get the estate in some kind of order, get an attorney etc. by "we" I mean I did it all for her. she was in no shape to manage things. we live states away from all of our fam just due to circumstance and jobs. so we are expecting a lot of flying around to tie up the estate, home sale etc. etc.

The way our company handles bereavement leave was a kick in the junk too. rather heartless and s**ty. really made us want to do something else. bad experience at a bad time.

through the loss of a couple parents and a sibling we have learned these valuable steps; if you can pull them off before there is someone hospitalized or gone, they help a lot.
  • Make sure you and everyone in the fam has a will. we used will maker as not to pay an attorney.
  • Make sure someone has or knows where the ORIGINAL notarized will is. if this cant be found its a raging PITA at a very bad time.
  • to avoid probate;
    • if possible, make all accounts (bank and investment) TOD (transfer on death) or joint.
    • quick claim deed the home/s to add you and or other fam.
  • Have a medical directive
  • Power of Attorney for finances and Medical decisions.
the above lessens the burdens faced after a tragic loss.

Reactions: JC in GB
Sorry for you loss and thanks for the tips. We need to get some of those done. We do have our home set up to pass ownership at mmmm death at least.

Sandy , sorry to hear this . My father in law was a big part of my success in life .
The rest of what you say are great points and should be done .

Lost my wife 11 years ago . Kids were 14 and 16 . Had all the TOD things done years ago , but just recently had a will drawn up . I went with a lawyer , he also did the deed transfer on the house .
I'm currently making a list to attach to the will , and a set of directions on what to do .

You make great points on doing these things . It certainly lessons the burden , but also gives you piece of mind .

Sandy sorry to hear your loss My first wife left me with 3 kids 15 down to 4
Richie

My Condolences Sandy----It's tough when you lose them.
Good to see you're taking care of the Wife---She needs you.
All of the older generations of ours are gone.
We are the oldest now, along with my 3 Siblings & the 2 of Mrs Bear's that are still above ground.

Bear

thank you to all for the condolences. it is greatly appreciated.

Very sorry for your loss. We're thinking of you and your wife. It's a difficult time and distance makes it harder.

You make a good point about planning in advance. My late uncle called it a "love letter for those you leave behind" to help avoid conflicts and questions, if possible.

You make a good point about planning in advance. My late uncle called it a "love letter for those you leave behind" to help avoid conflicts and questions, if possible.

well said. when my father was in the hospital dying, the nurses asked if there was a will and medical directive. when i responded yes they said "that is the best gift he could have left". Seemed odd at the time, but not long after it became clear how much easier it is to know what they wanted when they cant tell you.

Sorry to hear about your loss Sandy, stay strong

Chris

I want to thank everyone for the kind words. these are a huge shock to the system.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky