• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Lost in the Philippines

Lord Montgomery von Agoho

SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 19, 2020
Linus here,
Swedish living on a remote island in the Philippines for the past 10 years. Swine flu has hit our area once again so we cannot import any proper meat (even turkey for some reason) and corona has limited basically anything fun to do, so we decided to build a smoke house jut to feel remotely important (i like to tell my wife I'm "working" when all I'm really doing is watching fire and drinking beer with friends). Also, i miss the food of my home country tremendously much.

we built the smoke house based on inspiration from this website, and have also copied a couple of recipes.

Just wanted introduce myself and say a big THANK YOU to all you out there that are willing to share successes and failures, it has helped us out a lot.

Best, Linus

Attachments

motocrash

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 25, 2017
Welcome Lord, that is a fine looking smoker.
Hopefully you can get some meat soon, meanwhile you'll have to keep smoking
1607051310569.png
HAH!

What kinds of smoking woods are available there?

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Welcome to the SMF Family. Interesting combo you got there. A Swede in the Philippines? There must be a little Culture Shock there. The smoker is very nice...JJ

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Welcome from Ohio Linus. That smokehouse is awesome. What kind of fish are those?

Lord Montgomery von Agoho

SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 19, 2020
So, "Lord Montgomery von Agoho" is actually my dogs name. He started out as simply "Monty" and then we started promoting him and giving him new titles, might have gone a bit too far thou.....

Smoke house is built out of PH mahogany, we started by using coconut husk to generate smoke but they burnt too fast (15 min) and that was just way too much work as covid has made us quite lazy. Now we use Mango trees which is awesome, and I'm drying up some Lychee, to test in the coming week.

The fish is Tulingan, native here.... better known as Yellow Fin Tuna.... costs 3 dollars a kg....

Concerning a Sweden in the Philippines, ya I'm just as lost as you on that one..... live on an island with less that 80,000 people and all meat are from a "wet market" meaning no refrigeration...... its awesome to buy pork that's been out for 5 hours with flies feasting on them... gives a special.... je ne sais quoi....

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Look at the Bright Side, you are building a Helluva Immune System eating meat from the Wet Market! Flies don't eat much and Tenderize the Meat.😨...JJ

Brokenhandle

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
Welcome from Iowa! And nice smokehouse! Think if I was you I'd keep eating those Swedish fish and drinking beer... there's a pork chop in every can!

Ryan

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
I thought those fish looked familiar...though we can't keep them that size here, have to be 27" long. MMMM! smoked yellow fin tuna!

JLeonard

Master of the Pit
Joined Apr 17, 2020
Welcome sir to the forums from Mississippi! Love the set up on your smoke house.
Jim

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Welcome to SMF!
Looks like heaven to me!
I could eat smoked fish every night!
I bet it was delicious!
Al

daspyknows

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 9, 2020
Welcone from California. My ex wife is from the Philippines so spent some time there. Which island? Great seafood. That should work for the short term. Also, you can raise and slaughter your own lechon.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.