Lost flame

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bdbssb

Original poster
Dec 21, 2019
Been seeing a few of these questions, just wanted to add my situation and see if I’m ok. I lost flame in my pellet smoker during an overnight smoke. I’m doing a 5 and 6lb pork butt. Looking at my temp chart the internal temperature maxed at around 5:10 am at 190. I woke up at 6:00am and found the grill had a flame error. My chart hit a low of 120 before I had it up and running again. Being it was nearly done anyway am I still safe?

Thank you for the reply.
Ok was thinking so. Wanted to be “safe”. I’ve done multiple cooks never had this happen, guess I better dump using both probes for internal temp and use the air temp prob like your “suppose” to do.
On another note, I tried cheating by buying a couple of welding blankets instead of buying an actual blanket made for the grill. I have a camp chef dxl, any chances the blanket could have caused an issue? First use.

I don't see how the welding blankets would interfere with the flame, but I don't own a pellet grill & really don't know anything about them. All I know is your food is safe to eat! Maybe someone with your grill will chime in.
Al

I use a moving blanket all the time never been a problem

If something like this happens again, (it's usually a bigger deal when cooking with charcoal), move your meat into a 250° oven while you allow your smoker time to get back up to temp and for the smoke to settle down a bit.

Ok ty for the idea. It’s a pellet smoker so it doesn’t take too much time to get to temp. I’m using an air temp probe this time. Never had the issue until last smoke, guess I was too confident.
If something like this happens again, (it's usually a bigger deal when cooking with charcoal), move your meat into a 250° oven while you allow your smoker time to get back up to temp and for the smoke to settle down a bit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky