Looks like too many chunks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GoldenAmbers BBQ

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 10, 2019
Arkansas
For an 8 to 10 hour cook I tend to use an average of 1 chunk per hour on long cooks. Never have had anything get overly smoky. Some types of wood may be much stronger than apple or hickory and I might not get away with using so much.
20190527_081540.jpg

Mesquite would be one of those woods that you don't want to add a ton of because it is so strong. That might get the overly smoky flavor you are describing.

I don't use chunks, but I would think if you burn 1 chunk per hour, it wouldn't get too smoky, but if you have 7 chunks in there & they all burn & smoke at one time, any species could get to taste too smoky.

Bear

Mesquite would be one of those woods that you don't want to add a ton of because it is so strong. That might get the overly smoky flavor you are describing.

I don't use chunks, but I would think if you burn 1 chunk per hour, it wouldn't get too smoky, but if you have 7 chunks in there & they all burn & smoke at one time, any species could get to taste too smoky.

Bear

True yes. Minion is safer to plop in a few chunks scattered around.

I need to try mesquite soon. And olive I hear is good. I've only used mesquite chips before in an electric smoker.

With mesquite, use HALF what you normally use, and bury the chunks in the charcoal so they pre-heat prior to ignition. Doing so helps get rid of the turpentine-like taste of the initial smoke.

I use mesquite all the time. I have a 22.24 lb turkey in the WSM as I type. I used one big hunk of mesquite, a 2"x8" log really, and buried it in the bottom of my charcoal.

Never tried olive.

Your chunks are on the smaller side so you should be fine. I agree with Ray and bury them into the charcoal. For fish and poultry I like fruit woods and for beef and pork mostly hickory.

Chris

Your chunks are on the smaller side so you should be fine. I agree with Ray and bury them into the charcoal. For fish and poultry I like fruit woods and for beef and pork mostly hickory.

Chris

Burying the chunks would help keep down flare ups I bet. Temp spikes due to wind gusts. Cool

I mostly only use charcoal to get my smoker going and then stick burn. My stuff isn't too smoky running 100% wood. A lot of it comes down to fire management (running a clean fire), moisture content of the wood (how seasoned it is) and wood type, I use mostly oak because it isn't super strong and still has a nice flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky