Looking to retire my MES 40 for a Pellet Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

splendorlex

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 18, 2013
Lake Geneva, WI
I know that there are many options, but I thought I'd like to hear some recent opinions. (And I figure we have quite a few people with a new piece of Christmas Equipment around!)

A little background. I've been smoking for over 10 years now, and my 2 current machines are a 22" WSM and a 40" MES. I like the WSM, but it's a lot more effort to get going and keep going for cooks, and I like having something like the MES around for when I just want to skip a few steps! The problem is I've had to replace the heating element in my MES twice, and there are signs it's getting set to go out again. I'd also like something that has better heat control AND can get a little hotter. The MES maxes out at 275, and honestly it rarely actually reaches that.

Budget wise, I want to keep it under a grand, but I'd also gladly pick up something even cheaper if it was well regarded. I just want something that works. I have a family of five, and rarely have to do big cooks for parties and such. (And even then it's a couple pork butts and a few other things.) So I don't need a huge cooking surface. Something I can at least get 3-4 racks of ribs on, or a couple pork butts, I think you get the idea.

I've looked at a few options:

Traeger Pro 575 - I like the sound of it, but it's on the high end of my price range. At that level I'd like something that I could also use to truly sear something.
Recteq RT-590 - Looks pretty similar to the Traeger as far as features/capabilities
Pitboss Pro 850- This one saves me more than a few bucks over the above, and honestly looks comparable. It even looks like it can achieve higher temps for searing/grilling, and it's bigger than the other two. I'm assuming the shell is a little thinner, and not as high quality. But does it work?

Other possibilities are Camp Chef or Z Grills, but I don't know a lot about either.

Any other ideas? Yoder smokers are out due to the price point. I've also thought about the Masterbuilt Gravity fed, but I don't love the flare ups and other issues I've heard about them. (And given the issues I've had with my MES, I'm not entirely surprised!)

Those pellets grills will certainly satisfy the set and forget. If you like the flavor from a WSM, I may suggest the Char-griller 980. It may replace my gas grill at some point in the future.

I semi-retired my mes-40 for a recteq 700 and couldn’t be happier. I lost two butts and a brisket one night in the mes when it shut down one night. That pushed me over the edge to buy a recteq with wifi alerts. Just cooked two butts and a brisket yesterday in the recteq and they were fantastic.

Reactions: JZ_Focus
I have the MBGF 1050 and love it ! The only flare up I've ever had was at a 700* sear. My fault due the fact that I had grilled chicken the night before and didn't change the foil that I cover the heat deflector with. Wasn't scary and did help with a nice char on the steaks lol.
You can add wood chunks layered in with the charcoal and in the ash bin for your desired smoke profile. Hope that helps !

Keith

I would serously look at getting a BBQ Guru or something similar for your WSM. Makes it pretty much hands free. Holds the temp very good. Bury a split of wood under charcoal and you good for the whole cook. I use on the 18" but sure work just as good on a 22". Plug unit into a smart plug and can shutdown remote if needed and use wifi remotes to monitor.

I would serously look at getting a BBQ Guru or something similar for your WSM. Makes it pretty much hands free. Holds the temp very good. Bury a split of wood under charcoal and you good for the whole cook. I use on the 18" but sure work just as good on a 22". Plug unit into a smart plug and can shutdown remote if needed and use wifi remotes to monitor.

I actually have a Billows/Signals setup for it already. It still requires more initial setup time, and isn't nearly as easy as turning it on and selecting a temp! :)

My PitBoss is 5+ years old so i dont have hands on experience with the new models but from looking at the store they have heavier metal than mine as well as updated controllers. Overall on this forum Rec Tec is very highly regarded.

My PitBoss is 5+ years old so i dont have hands on experience with the new models but from looking at the store they have heavier metal than mine as well as updated controllers. Overall on this forum Rec Tec is very highly regarded.
5+ years huh? What do you think of it after that long? Is it gathering dust or still useful? Any major issues?

I picked up a Camp Chef SG24 wifi back in the spring, and am happy with it. It mostly runs itself, but on longer smokes, you do need to shift the pellets around in the hopper every now and then. Even though the bottom of the hopper is sloped toward the auger intake on all sides, the pellets tend to get hung up and need some help sliding down. I also find that the smoke flavor is not as strong as you'd get from a charcoal/chunk smoker, or a stick burner, but I can live with that for the convenience, plus you can always chuck a smoke tube in there to augment the smoke.

Definitely don't sh*t can your MES. $150 and you can have a fantastic smoker https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=110
If you make sausage and such, it can be difficult on a pellet grill keeping temps low enough.
I have RT 590 and MES 40 PID controlled, use the MES 90% of the time. It "is" set it and forget it.

Edit: Are you sure it is the element that is going out. I have never replaced mine in 10+ yrs

Reactions: chopsaw
My Camp Chef DLX24 has been pretty good, but I also have become a tweaker just to keep it running. In four years it has given me some grief; a few inadvertent shutdowns, auger fire, etc. But I will also admit that some were Operator error. But it has also proven a valuable tool that is set and forget. I like that! Plus it was and still is a great value compared to other brands.

The controller started reading and controlling false temps, so I replaced it. It is an aftermarket unit that came with an additional meat probe, and will control on low smoke around 160 deg. It seemed to improve the overall performance of the grill also. But with that said, Camp Chef has also improved their controllers from when I first purchased in 2017.

I do miss the stick-burner results you get from charcoal and wood, and I am sort of Jones’in for a gravity feed, but seems they are fuel-hungry.

But I ain’t done yet…ha! I’m also researching vertical smokers. I like what a bunch of the guys are doing with them, and I never had one.

But your query is about pellet grills, and I will summarize that Camp Chef is a good value, and easily in your budget.

Rick

If you lived near me, I would take the MES40 off your hands, fix it up with an Auber PID Controller and give it to my son.

Definitely don't sh*t can your MES. $150 and you can have a fantastic smoker https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=110
If you make sausage and such, it can be difficult on a pellet grill keeping temps low enough.
I have RT 590 and MES 40 PID controlled, use the MES 90% of the time. It "is" set it and forget it.

Edit: Are you sure it is the element that is going out. I have never replaced mine in 10+ yrs

Ok, I'm not much of a modder or electrician. How exactly does this hook up to the MES to control the temperature?

How exactly does this hook up to the MES to control the temperature?
If you do the rewire that tallbm came up with it bypasses everything but the limit switch .
The controller plugs into power , and the MES plugs into the controller .
Some guys just wire a cord right to the element . That bypasses everything in the MES .
Sounds more confusing that it really is . You have a good sized insulated cabinet . Do the rewire and add an Auber for under $200.00 .

Reactions: Winterrider
Ok, I'm not much of a modder or electrician. How exactly does this hook up to the MES to control the temperature?

I had the same question as Winterrider Winterrider had when I read your post.
Are you sure the elements went bad. I just gave away my 10 year old & my 9 year old MES 40 to new homes, and the only thing that ever went bad was the connections, in the back to the element, corroded off. 25 cents to fix.

Bear

I totally agree with Brian, but another option may be a MasterBuilt 1050 Gravity feed smoker. Same idea, set & forget, will hold any temp as long as there is fuel to burn. The only thing that bothered me about the 1050, was it’s pretty new. The WSM has been around for years, and all the comp teams use a BBQ Guru controller. So there are plenty of guys on here with both, so ask questions & make your own decision.
Al

Agree with Bearcarver. Why not check the wire terminals to the element. What if THAT was the only problem? Why not give it a try before dumping the smoker? Many of us will help walk you thru the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winterrider
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky