Looking to get an offset

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

paulfalco12

Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
Hey everyone. Been smoking for a few years on my WSM 18.5” and I love it. I’m looking to also get an offset so I can make more than just on my WSM. Not looking to spend a lot. Are any of the offsets that are $100-$150 price range they sell at Home Depot decent enough to get the job done?

After using a fine WSM that holds a steady temp and is good on fuel consumption,you will be disappointed with an offset in that price range. Save up for a good thick walled model.

Reactions: JC in GB
I agree with moto. I think you are going to want to upgrade very quickly b/c at that price range you are going to drive yourself crazy with temp changes and then it will fall to crap after 2 summers. You can get a decent OK Joe for twice that amount or go with the big boy like I have for around 500.

Moto is spot on.

If you’re looking to not spend a lot. Check out the Oklahoma Joe Highland around Memorial Day. That’s when I bought mine for $199 at Lowe’s

At that price point, I bought one to learn how to use an offset smoker....but paying the regular price of $299, I probably would have purchased a WSM

I bought an oklahoma joe highlander last year. It seems to be better insulated than others I have owned which will be a boon on longer cooks.

I started with an offset smoker, dirt cheap one from home depot for $99. Since it was my first time smoking, it was great for a newbie. After grilling almost every weekend and smoking at least once a month, it was time to retire it after two and a half years. I got a stingy electric one which is just OK. I agree with the others. If you're an intermediate, or a pro, go big and get a decent one. You deserve it

What ever you get, check the smoker to see how AIR TIGHT seams, doors, and other stuff fit... There are several mods you will probably want to make to it so it functions well ...

Oklahoma Joe makes some decent offset smokers for the money. They've improved over the years. But for a bit more you can get an Old Country smoker like a Pecos or Wrangler, which are arguably the best bang for your buck. Significantly better quality than OKJ, but not Lang/Horizon expensive.

But don't get an offset and try to burn charcoal in it. You won't get more than 2-4 hours out of a basket. They're meant for stick burning. If you want more capacity just get another WSM or a drum cooker.

I currently use a cheap Dyna-glo offset. Although it produces great quality Q, I agree with what the other posters are saying here. Temp control is tricky on them and requires constant attending. I also don't like how much fuel it uses for a cook. I had to add gaskets and high temp food grade silicone to seal all the cracks in the firebox and cook chamber.

That said, it does work and I have learned more than I could imagine using that smoker.

I listed everything I liked and didn't like about it and what I would wish for in a new cooker.

If you are already an accomplished pit master, I would suggest saving your $$ and holding out for a better model than the cheap offset type. My $0.02...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky