• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Looking for stackable pellet containers

hairicon

Joined Jan 31, 2011
I drove from Atlanta to Augusta, GA this week to visit the Recteq showroom and compare the 590 to the 700 side by side. Of course, I bought the bigger, more expensive one. The staff couldn’t have been nicer and it’s a really cool showroom and facility. They gave me a free cover and also 2 40lb and 2 20lb bags of pellets. I have a question. Has anyone found stackable containers that I can store 40 lbs of pellets and then be able to carry to the grill when it finally arrives? Thanks.

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
Congrats! I have the same one and LOVE IT!

5 gallon home depot buckets with Gamma sealing lids. you can probably find a better deal on the lids. pretty sure I didnt pay that much but its been a while.

SmokingUPnorth

Smoking UPNorth
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 7, 2017
I also use the Home Depot buckets. Just with the Home Depot lid though. I can’t remember if 40 lbs fit in one. I think they do though. I use different buckets to separate all my wood and pellets.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 4, 2009
I go the cheap way. I use discarded kitty litter plastic buckets with the lid already attached, and they work great. Stack well and keep the pellets dry. Also, keeps them out of the landfills longer.

40# of pellets will not fit in one bucket but what the heck. . .They are free. . .LOL

John

Last edited:

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
Will 40 lbs fit into a 5 gallon container?
If memory serves...I dont think the entire 40LB bag will fit. I usually fill the hopper and then put the remaining pellets in the bucket.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
If they're unopened then you should be fine storing them in your garage - off the cement floor(I use a skid). If they're opened then you'll want to store them in an airtight plastic container.

Chris

imhungrymk

Fire Starter
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 29, 2020
Is there any wow factor in visiting them?? I use 5 gallon bucket from the hardware store.

hairicon

Joined Jan 31, 2011
I did end up getting three food quality 5 gallon buckets from Lowes. 40Lbs fits into two buckets. I'm not sure when my Rt700 will be here. Backordered.

hairicon

Joined Jan 31, 2011
Is there any wow factor in visiting them?? I use 5 gallon bucket from the hardware store.
It's a really nice facility. I think it would be awesome to go there when they have an event. It's just a showroom. But, for me, I could compare grills since I had never seen a Recteq in person.

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Congrats on your new smoker. Hoping a lot of success for you. I too would suggest the5 gal bucket deal.

Warren

1MoreFord

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 4, 2020
Last edited:

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Many good suggest here. I have never seen 6gal buckets. Who makes them? Never heard of Academy sports.

Warren

Simple man

Joined Dec 17, 2020
Wine and beer making supply stores carry the 6 gal pails. Used for fermenting wort for beer and wine. Also some wine juice comes in the 6 gal pails, that is how I acquired them.

1MoreFord

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 4, 2020

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.