Looking for Recommendations on a new Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bpinmi

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
New Baltimore, MI
Looking to upgrade from my ECB and would like some recommendations for a new smoker.

- Budget is up to $600

- no propane/electric smokers, must be charcoal

- prefer something that doesn't need a lot of mods

Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

Probably the best out of the box charcoal smoker would be the Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5". Any horizontal offset in your $$$ range will need a baffle, tuning plates and lowering the exhaust to grate level...JJ

I just bought the big green egg. I love it! Most hassle free smoking, grilling, baking that I have ever done. A little pricey, but it is a dang good investment.

WSM all the way! I've been using a 18.5 but admit the 22.5 would be nice.
I suggest anything you like see it in person put stuff on the display model to see how much fits.

So far I absolutely love my 18" wsm. The size of the 22" would be nice on ocassion. You can feed quite a few people off the 18 but if you think you will be trying to cook 3 or more racks of ribs or full briskest more than a few times a year go with the 22. They are quality made, and very easy to use. They a versatile enough to use the water pan as designed, empty, or not at all and go uds style, which I've been doing. I can have the meat on the top rack, with nothing as a heat shield/heat sink and keep the temps down around 225-250 or up over 300 if I want. Fuel use is impressive too, 12 hours burn time on a full charcoal ring is a reasonable expectation if you're cooking at 250-275.

So far I absolutely love my 18" wsm. The size of the 22" would be nice on ocassion. You can feed quite a few people off the 18 but if you think you will be trying to cook 3 or more racks of ribs or full briskest more than a few times a year go with the 22. They are quality made, and very easy to use. They a versatile enough to use the water pan as designed, empty, or not at all and go uds style, which I've been doing. I can have the meat on the top rack, with nothing as a heat shield/heat sink and keep the temps down around 225-250 or up over 300 if I want. Fuel use is impressive too, 12 hours burn time on a full charcoal ring is a reasonable expectation if you're cooking at 250-275.
 I really wanted a vertical or offset but I may have to give the 22" WSM a serious look. Pretty good out of the box with no mods?

I really wanted a vertical or offset but I may have to give the 22" WSM a serious look. Pretty good out of the box with no mods?
I haven't used the 22" but I hear it's as easy as the 18". But yeah the webers are ready to go out of the box, despite what you some people say, there is no need to season them, if you have a basic understanding of cooking with charcoal then there is really very little learning curve. And for the price you can't beat the quality, the porcelain coating on webers will stand up to years of use with really only the most basic of maintenance. I have weber kettles that have been outside, in the weather, uncovered, used hard for 15+ years and they are still going strong.

what's the time frame?   if you can hold off, wait until the end of season sales on grills and smokers.  they will be on soon

Bought my first smoker yesterday after TONS of research.  I am now a proud owner of a 22.5" WSM.  Just finished putting it together and it looks great!  Will probably break it in on Thursday for first NFL game.  

Probably could have gone with the 18.5" but decided to size up.  I had read on several forums that decide the size you need and get the next biggest one. 

Congrats on your purchase! You will not be disappointed. The wsms are really easy to use and built to last. You will not be disappointed

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky