Looking For Lukainka (French Basque?) Sausage Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
I guess the title says it all, does this name ring a bell for anyone? I have one source to buy Lukainka but it's about 130 miles away so I would like to have a recipe as a backup. A few online searches have mentioned it, but no signs of a recipe. I got a lot of cross-links to Lukanka, but those recipes are not even close to the sausage I'm looking for. The Lukainka I'm after is all pork, fresh, stuffed in hog casing and has a fine grind. After cooking the color is slightly pale, but I can see flecks of black pepper and there is a slight heat from hot peppers. If there is garlic, it's not over powering. The specific region of origin may be referred to as French Basque, after visiting with someone at this towns Basque festival a few years ago.

So while searching for a recipe I've come to realize lukainka translates to sausage, or pork sausage. I'm guessing what you're looking for is a particular sausage, but it's not called lukainka.

Thirdeye, does this sound like what you're looking for?
https://www.gourmetfoodworld.com/fabrique-delices-basque-sausage-1658.
I've asked around and will let ya know if I find anything.

Yes, that looks like the sausage, and the ingredients seem to fit the flavor.

So while searching for a recipe I've come to realize lukainka translates to sausage, or pork sausage. I'm guessing what you're looking for is a particular sausage, but it's not called lukainka.

Maybe it's like chili can mean different things to different people? In this case the whole community refers to it as Lukainka, and the shops that sell it label it that way too, The "French Basque" region a guy was telling me about might provide a clue to a certain recipe.

Reactions: DanMcG
I was asked if you can confirm there is no paprika? But you said it was a pale cooked color so I would guess not.

After cooking the color is slightly pale, but I can see flecks of black pepper and there is a slight heat from hot peppers.
Makes me think of some reading I have done on french 4 spice . The recipe I have is 7 parts black or white pepper , 1 part nutmeg , 1 part cinnamon and 1 part cloves . Some other ones are less pepper , but still equal parts on the rest . These amounts make up the spice , then the recipe for the sausage will say how much to use per lb . along with other spices .
Just rang a bell when I read this thread .

Reactions: thirdeye
I was asked if you can confirm there is no paprika? But you said it was a pale cooked color so I would guess not.

I don't think paprika is a major player.

Makes me think of some reading I have done on french 4 spice . The recipe I have is 7 parts black or white pepper , 1 part nutmeg , 1 part cinnamon and 1 part cloves . Some other ones are less pepper , but still equal parts on the rest . These amounts make up the spice , then the recipe for the sausage will say how much to use per lb . along with other spices .
Just rang a bell when I read this thread .

The pepper is not really outstanding. It's more of a back flavor.

That link Dan posted looks and sounds a lot like your description. The ingredients list sounds good. The Espelette Pepper is going to make all the difference. There are references to the Choricero Pepper being used in Basque Sausages including their version of Chorizo...JJ

Hey Thirdeye, Where are you located? I'm guessing Wyoming ?
I just zoomed in on your avatar for a clue.

Last edited:
I've never had such a hard time finding info on a sausage before. here is some history on it's origins. https://pil-pilean.com/2013/08/13/lukainka-el-ancestral-chorizo-vasco/

I also sent a message to the Big Horn Basque Club and requesting a generic recipe and they responded with,
Hi Dan, let me get a hold of some of the old Basque men for you. It might take me a couple days but I'll get something for you. It is a regional thing lol! I know what goes in it but not how much per lb!
I'll let ya know.

Reactions: thirdeye
It's in Rytec's book on page 276, says it's a Greek sausage. Here's the recipe:
10 lbs pork butt
5 Tb salt
10 cloves garlic, crushed or sliced
2 Tb ground thyme
2 Tb Marjoram
1 Tb ground allspice
2 tsp crushed bay leaf
3 Tb grated orange peel
1 & 1/2 cup red wine
Grind thru 3/4" plate, stuff into 32-35mm hog casings

Hope this helps, takes me time to type stuff, I still have to look at the keyboard. RAY

Ray, this Lukainka is a Basque Sausage, from the Basque Region, an area on the border of France and Spain that has there own language dialect, history and types of food. There Sausages are very different than the Greek Sausage you posted. Thanks for all the work typing and it does sound good...JJ

It was something to do Jimmy, I'm up early and have my butt in the offset now. I made a bottle of your finishing sauce yesterday, going with straight hickory splits, this should be good. RAY

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Hey Thirdeye, Where are you located? I'm guessing Wyoming ?
I just zoomed in on your avatar for a clue.

Yes, I'm in the Cowboy State!

I've never had such a hard time finding info on a sausage before. here is some history on it's origins. https://pil-pilean.com/2013/08/13/lukainka-el-ancestral-chorizo-vasco/

I also sent a message to the Big Horn Basque Club and requesting a generic recipe and they responded with,
Hi Dan, let me get a hold of some of the old Basque men for you. It might take me a couple days but I'll get something for you. It is a regional thing lol! I know what goes in it but not how much per lb!
I'll let ya know.

Now that is using the 'ol noggin with your sleuthing skills. I would have never thought to reach out in that direction. Ironically, Buffalo Wyoming is the town where I have attended the Basque festival, and where I've purchased Lukainka sausage. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

2006-P7220174.jpg

2006-P7220010.jpg

As usual , google something like this , good chance you'll get a hit from SMF . Not sure if this will help , but worth tagging .

I know this is not what you're looking for , just a way to compare spice pairings .

As usual , google something like this , good chance you'll get a hit from SMF . Not sure if this will help , but worth tagging .

I know this is not what you're looking for , just a way to compare spice pairings .
couger78 couger78 is still around. Try sending a PM if he don't see this thread....JJ

Yeah, I was going to tag Kevin on this too. I hope he joins in on the fun.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky