Looking for Kamado companion...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bgaviator

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 9, 2010
I wasn’t really sure which forum to post this in as it’s a general type equipment question. I have a Kamado Joe which I absolutely love. However, even with my Party Q fan controller, I can’t ever seem to hold a temp lower than about 250 degrees, especially in summer. I’d really like something I could do Jerky and summer sausage, and kippered salmon on all year long, and it doesn’t seem like the Kamado will ever get low enough to properly do this. What additional smoker could I get that would maintain really low temperatures, without being outrageously expensive? Thanks.

Reactions: JC in GB
I cannot attest to the Masterbuilt line of electrics, but for sausage I use a SmokinIt electric (Coockshack Clone) with and Auber PID. That, of course, somewhat pricy. Depends on you definition of “ outrageously pricey“.

I’m sure someone will come along that’s done some in a master built and can attest to whether or not he can hold those low temperatures. The master builders are not outrageously expensive but whether or not they can steadily hold a low enough temperature without the addition of a PID for what you are Wanting to do is the question.

An electric smoker is popular with the sausage, jerky and fish crowd. There are a few brands out there, but the MES seems to have the largest following.

Chris

Reactions: JC in GB
I wasn’t really sure which forum to post this in as it’s a general type equipment question. I have a Kamado Joe which I absolutely love. However, even with my Party Q fan controller, I can’t ever seem to hold a temp lower than about 250 degrees, especially in summer. I’d really like something I could do Jerky and summer sausage, and kippered salmon on all year long, and it doesn’t seem like the Kamado will ever get low enough to properly do this. What additional smoker could I get that would maintain really low temperatures, without being outrageously expensive? Thanks.
As mentioned above. The MES will work. Also if you have an Academy Sports store near you they normally will put them on sale for Fathers day.

Last edited:
Ok, yeah I was thinking probably some kind of electric smoker like the Masterbuilts, but their reviews seem pretty hit or miss. Lots of reviews on amazon saying the electronic controls are shot after only several uses.

Ok, yeah I was thinking probably some kind of electric smoker like the Masterbuilts, but their reviews seem pretty hit or miss. Lots of reviews on amazon saying the electronic controls are shot after only several uses.

I think you could apply that to any brand of electric smoker. The electronics are their weakest link. However with the MES there are work arounds available. Also since it seems that more people own the MES it only stands to reason that you would hear about more issues.

Chris

Reactions: bgaviator
For what you want you could build a smoke pretty easy to keep under 250.
I have a Kamado Joe also and I use my homemade smoker and MES for smoking more that the Joe.

Reactions: dr k
I have a Mes with an Auber PID. Getting a used Mes and the $150.00 Auber is a great set up because you really just need the box, door and heating element. You can search in the electric smoker forum for the Mes no back removal bypass for the PID which is four cuts and two wire nuts in five minutes then plug the Mes into the PID. Great for Jerky, sausage, fish etc. If it's 50*F outside set the PID to 60*F to create a draft for cold smoking. With my Kamado Akorn a small group of coals (10 or so) lit in the middle and unlit charcoal touching the lit coals around the outside with chunks, pieces or chips of wood scattered here and there is how I start real low then adjust to get 200*F or lower. If you start just a little too high with many coals and take your time assembling the Kamado components from the coals up to the cooking grate, it's much tougher to get the temp down.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky