Looking for advice on electric smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rocfish13

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 9, 2020
North Carolina
Been looking for an electric smoker in the $200 range. Been looking at reviews online, but you get so many conflicting views. Need some good advice from someone that has actual experience with smokers in my price range.

Reactions: JLeonard
Keep an eye out for the MES 30 or 40, love my 40. I know they get mixed reviews, but the people who like it, really love it and I am one of those people.

Reactions: PAS and JC in GB
I have a mes 30, very happy with mine. But if your planning on smoking for crowds I would get the 40.

Walmart has a online special on the digital master built 30 for $204, not sure if they're still available or not.

I just bought a $400 Bradley on eBay for $200 even if you don't go Bradley or whatever you can find a deal on ebay or FB marketplace.

Happy Hunting,
phatbac (Aaron)

Keep an eye out at Walmart and Lowes. Usually in Sept they start clearing out stock and the prices drop a lot!

Last edited:
I might get burned here for this one, but when replacing my last MES, I bought something on Amazon called a DynaGlo 30". The honest truth? I think I like it better than the MES, and I've had several of those. Due to a credit from Amazon for a dented door (No effect on how it works.), I ended up paying about $125 for it. Even without the dent discount, they are under $200 at about $187.

I might get burned here for this one, but when replacing my last MES, I bought something on Amazon called a DynaGlo 30". The honest truth? I think I like it better than the MES, and I've had several of those. Due to a credit from Amazon for a dented door (No effect on how it works.), I ended up paying about $125 for it. Even without the dent discount, they are under $200 at about $187.

No burning here!!
I've seen them in ads, and they look like one of the better copies of the Basic MES, with some slight changes.
I have no idea how good they are, as I've never used one, however I see they followed the wrong MES when they put both the Heating element & the Top Vent on the right side. Something I've been advising against for at least 10 years.
Other than that, they look good, especially for the prices I've seen.

Bear

however I see they followed the wrong MES when they put both the Heating element & the Top Vent on the right side.

My 1st MES had the vent on the right and the one I've had the past 3yrs has the vent on the left.It really does make a difference imo.

Reactions: Bearcarver
My GF has the higher end MES 30 and it works very well. Chips burn beautifully. Like all other smokers, door therm is off by about 20* but not a big deal. Small chip tray.
Since she has the MB,I bought the CharBroil 30”. It is the analogue Model and paid $150. Once I got to know it, am very pleased with it. Chips will burn nicely if you do not fill more than 3/4 and It has a larger chip tray than MES.
Have recently been using the Amazen Pellet tray and works great in this smoker with no mods needed. I place it bottom left and get great, consistent smoke.

I just found a used electric for my son. A Smokin Tex 1400 for $225 with extra racks. Found it in Facebook Marketplace.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky