Lonzino Dry Aged Pork Loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
First i would like to say this.

This is a dry cured aged meat using cure #2. Please do not attempt this if you do not have the proper dry aging area and the understanding of dry cureing/aging meats.

The basic rub.

2.5 Tbs non iodized salt

1.5 Tbs brown sugar

1 level tsp cure #2

1 Tbs black pepper

1.5 tsp garlic poder

4-5 lb pork loin rinsed and patted dry.

Mix all the dry together to make a rub. Place loin on plastic wrap, glass or plastic container. Rub the loin with the dry rub.

Yes the salt will start to pull moisture from the loin, This is normal.

After the loin is rubbed with all the dry TIGHTLY wrap the loin in plastic wrap. I also used 2 zip lock bags and wrapped over the bags.

You will need to fridge the loin at 36-38* for 12 days

After the 12 day mark take from fridge, Rinse loin and place on wire cooling rack for 3 hours at room temp.

NOTE

Make sure you have a large collagen or fibrouse casing that will hold the loin.

After the room temp rest, Work the loin in the casing trying to avoid air pockets. Tie the ends of the casing as normal.

You will need to hold the loin at 80* with 70-80% R/H for 12 hours.

After this 12 hours you will need a 17-20 day hang at 60* and 70-80% R/H

The Lonzino is then ready to slice thin with cheese, crackers and Vino.

Here is my loin being prepared.

1ac737b3_DSC01505.jpg

8841c974_DSC01506.jpg

Mixing the dry.

b043a3df_DSC01507.jpg

Applying the dry.

0eefe9c0_DSC01508.jpg

3d2bb788_DSC01509.jpg

Wrap very tight. Rotate the loin 1X daily

258da54b_DSC01510.jpg

f575d02f_DSC01511.jpg

See ya in 12 days.

Marked my calender. And on a side note .....that thing looks huge! what did it weigh out at Rick?

Last edited:
Nepas,

You are going to make me finish my cure chamber build!  So many  new things to try.

At least I can cure vicariously through your posts

Gunna be a wait.

I will update the progress.

Turned the loin this morning to keep the liquid rotating from side to side.

Waiting is going to kill me.....yikes

Looks fantastic. I'll be on it once I get my hand out of that damned plaster. The chamber is up and running, ready to go.

I like this receipe, because it it easier to do than any other lonzinos I've read about.

Two questions I'd like to ask:

All lonzino receipes I've seen (I haven't made any lonzino at all) call for using half a dry rub and 7-10 days in fridge, then rinse meat well and apply second half of dry rub for another 7-10 days in the fridge. Anyone see any reason to split the curing that way? I'm sure I read it in Ruhlmann's Charcutterie and some other guys doing the same just following his way? Dunno.

Do collagen casings work OK? Will they let the meat dry throughout? If there is air pocket, is it OK to pierce with sterilised needle like sausages? Again, the receipes I've seen call for beef middles (hard to get for me, but not impossible) or meat is tied with twine, or use butchers stockinettes. I have no experience with collagens at all, but I can source them very easily.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Oh forgot summthin'. Nepas, you Cure#2 does not look pink, I thought both #1 and #2 were supposed to have this red dye in it for safety reasons. Just curious that's all.

Last edited:
This is going to be Fun to watch...JJ

Oh forgot summthin'. Nepas, you Cure#2 does not look pink, I thought both #1 and #2 were supposed to have this red dye in it for safety reasons. Just curious that's all.

Guess it all depends on where ya get it from or who is the maker of the cure. Got this 2, from Butcher Packer a few years ago. Cant really see it but it does have a very slight pink tint to it.

My daughter bought me a DSLR for my bday so when it gets here my pics will be better.

I flipped the loin over again this morning.

Looks fantastic. I'll be on it once I get my hand out of that damned plaster. The chamber is up and running, ready to go.

I like this receipe, because it it easier to do than any other lonzinos I've read about.

Two questions I'd like to ask:

All lonzino receipes I've seen (I haven't made any lonzino at all) call for using half a dry rub and 7-10 days in fridge, then rinse meat well and apply second half of dry rub for another 7-10 days in the fridge. Anyone see any reason to split the curing that way? I'm sure I read it in Ruhlmann's Charcutterie and some other guys doing the same just following his way? Dunno.

Do collagen casings work OK? Will they let the meat dry throughout? If there is air pocket, is it OK to pierce with sterilised needle like sausages? Again, the receipes I've seen call for beef middles (hard to get for me, but not impossible) or meat is tied with twine, or use butchers stockinettes. I have no experience with collagens at all, but I can source them very easily.

Thanks in advance.

All good questions and you have the good book to read it.

I dont have any natural beef middles or caps so the Lonzino is going into a fibrous casing. This should work, going to try not to poke any holes in the casing. Both ends will be open and i will hog ring after and tie with the net twine.

So I can just hang that in my garage right?  JUST KIDDING! Love the color of the meat post-cure. Can't wait to see it when its finally finished!

So I can just hang that in my garage right?  JUST KIDDING! Love the color of the meat post-cure. Can't wait to see it when its finally finished!

th_HaHa7_ani.gif

You almost called in an air strike with that one.

Lonzino comes out from under wraps on Sunday to get rinsed and put in the casing.

Last edited:
Got the Lonzino out from its 13 day cure. All washed and air dried for 3 hours.

6471734e_ath.jpg

Did a little fat trim and into a casing.
e0320453_DSCF0228.jpg

Got my PID set to 80* and some salt with water to get close to 75-80% R/H. Lonzino should pick up some smoke for the next 12 hours.
2ef324bd_DSCF0231.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky