• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Longevity of cooked brisket.

ajax

Joined Jul 22, 2016
A week ago today, I smoked a brisket. After the feast, I double wrapped the leftovers (one large piece) in tinfoil and put it in the fridge and forgot about it until now. I am wondering if it is safe to vacuum pack and freeze for later use.

mike5051

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 7, 2015
I have vac packed week old brisket.  I don't know if it's safe but I'm still here!  
  I vac and freeze single servings and I throw away any left overs.  I do the same with PP, I will keep it in the fridge for a week before vac sealing.  This is what I do, not a recommendation.

Mike

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Give it a taste. No off flavors, you can freeze it...JJ

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Proper handling and refigeration goes a long way to keep food fresh. Problems and spoilage is a handling issue.

I cook Latin food from time to time. I made a Quart of Sofrito. I washed and purried, Peppers, Onions, Garlic, Tomatoes and Cilantro, all Raw. I used what I needed , placed the rest in a Jar and stuck it in the Back of the Refer until the next time I needed it. By the " Book " aka USDA...It should have spoiled in 3-5 Days and should be tossed...I went to make Arroz con Pollo yesterday and my wife reminded me there was Sofrito in the Refer. I checked it...It has been 6 MONTHS since the last dish I made! The Sofrito was as fresh and tasty as the day it was made!!!  True, Sofrito is not Meat, but with proper handling, the BOOK is a useful tool  but still just a Guidline...JJ

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.