longest let a butt sit rubbed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shaggy smokes, Mar 29, 2015.

1. shaggy smokes

shaggy smokes Smoke Blower

I rubbed a pork butt yesterday and keep having things come up where I can't smoke it. Looks like I can't throw it on til tomorrow night. Is 50 hours to long?

2. I once had the same problem with getting around to smoking some ribs and was a bit concerned after them being in the rub for three days.  Truth be told, the best ribs I've ever done, and that is according to the wife!

I think you'll be okay but might want to wait for the experts to respond.  The way I see it, as long as the meat doesn't spoil in the fridge you'll be fine.

3. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

My guess is you'll be fine. Better safe than sorry rinse and reapply before smoking!

4. b-one

If your rub had salt in it I would recommend not reusing a rub with salt in it as well.

5. You'll be fine a couple of days won't hurt anything. After it's smoked see how you like the flavor ? if it's a hit you may want to keep doing it that way, If not go shorter next time. I am a apply my rub right before I smoke guy. No particular reason, just always have 

Gary

6. shaggy smokes

This was not well is not by choice. I wanted to be eating this for lunch today

7. bassman

bassman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Just a week ago I smoked two butts that had been rubbed and in the fridge for three days.  Came out perfect.  I say go for it.

8. Be sure and give us an update on how it turned out for you

Gary

9. shaggy smokes

Ended up sitting about 54 hours and tasted delicious. Took a little longer to get up to temp than usual. I don't know if the long rubbed sit time mattered or played a factor in that.

10. b-one

Glad to hear it turned out!
    No pics never happened!

11. shaggy smokes

12. shaggy smokes

13. shaggy smokes

Sorry was very busy. The wife finished it while I was at work. I told her she is to take pics from now on of finished product

14. shaggy91954

shaggy91954 Meat Mopper

Hello shaggy smokes I'm shaggy91954.  Nice looking butt you got smoking there. 

15. Looks good   Nice job

Gary