London Broil

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ltbfd

Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Has anyone ever smoked a steak like a London broil and if you have what were the results

To me it's a pretty tough of meat that does well with a long marinade and then flash cooked on a grill to no more than medium rare. Must be sliced thinly across the grain, much like a flank steak.

I'm with Chef Willie, there's not enough fat in them to take a long smoke, ...maybe why that's why they are called London BROIL.  
biggrin.gif

JLRodriguez turned me onto his recipe for London Broil which we tried Friday night, very, very good.

Season steak with salt and pepper, sear over high heat a couple of minutes, remove from grill and place on a piece of aluminum foil, place crumbled bleu cheese and some pear slices on top of the steak and close the foil, cook indirect until your particular doneness, very delicious if you like blue cheese.

Enjoy and don't forget the Q-view.

Gene

Last edited:
I jaccard them, rub some spices on them and high heat grill with some mesquite chunks. That way I still get some smokiness to them. 
f1c16dd3_londonbroil.jpg

Crock pot fodder.. Add seasoning and make taco meat.

If you can get your butcher counter to slice it thinly (like 1/8 to 3/16 thick) across the grain like big lunchmeat, then you can marinade in oj and onions for some great carne asada.

I have never tried to smoke one..

thank you everyone who replied I'll look into something different for beef.

Rare Steak;

works with London Brol (Flank Steak), just dont have a pic
  • Eye round roast sliced to 1" thick slices.
  • Salt for 45 minutes.(room temperature)
  • Rinse, pat dry rest 15 minutes.
  • Jaccard tenderized both sides
  • Grill 2 minutes, turn, grill 1 minute (crosshatch)
  • Flip, Grill 1 minute,  turn, grill1 minute (crosshatch)
Rest 10 minutes
Foil for Medium Rare

As far as the smoker goes I wouldn't try it

Last edited:
Rare Steak;

works with London Brol (Flank Steak), just dont have a pic
  • Eye round roast sliced to 1" thick slices.
  • Salt for 45 minutes.(room temperature)
  • Rinse, pat dry rest 15 minutes.
  • Jaccard tenderized both sides
  • Grill 2 minutes, turn, grill 1 minute (crosshatch)
  • Flip, Grill 1 minute,  turn, grill1 minute (crosshatch)
Rest 10 minutes
Foil for Medium Rare

As far as the smoker goes I wouldn't try it

LOL. Yeah, it really sucked.
icon_mrgreen.gif

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/59728/smoked-london-broil-and-soup-bones

Had to replace the photos on this original 2007 thread. We usually take them to 135 to 140º internal, then foil them for an hour to hour and 1/2.

49675805_LBCarved0015.jpg

Last edited:
I have smoked several LB's and they turned out great.

I smoked to 125, foiled and rested in a cooler for an hour, sliced against the grain, and they were delicious. We made some fajitas with them.

Hell, people have smoked lobster tails...beef will take the smoke well.

I marinated mine in Dale's and also injected it into the meat and used hickory.

It's a quick and easy smoke. Give it a shot and see if you like it.

LOL. Yeah, it really sucked.
icon_mrgreen.gif

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/59728/smoked-london-broil-and-soup-bones

Had to replace the photos on this original 2007 thread. We usually take them to 135 to 140º internal, then foil them for an hour to hour and 1/2.

49675805_LBCarved0015.jpg

Dude that is sweet, I haven't had any success with Flank on the smoker, I gotta try it again on Frank, yours looks amazing.

I am trying it this weekend, did you jaccard or did the marinade help tenderize, what is the marinade?

You said you seared for 2.5 minutes, was that total sear time for one side or both sides.

I smoke LB all the time and love it.  I just use a rub and maybe evoo and toss on the smoker till it hits 140-145.  If there are left overs I dice up and make a batch of Dutche's beans and toss the meat in.  Everyone loves the beans with smoked LB in it.  Every once in a while I do get a bad piece of meat that is tough. 

Dude that is sweet, I haven't had any success with Flank on the smoker, I gotta try it again on Frank, yours looks amazing.

I am trying it this weekend, did you jaccard or did the marinade help tenderize, what is the marinade?

You said you seared for 2.5 minutes, was that total sear time for one side or both sides.
Well the concoction we made was Mojo Crillio. I usually marinade with it over night and then add a little of Jeff's rub before putting it on the smoker. Remember to cut it thin and across the grain. And yes, about 2 1/2 minutes per side. Sometimes I don't even bother with it.

Last edited:
Well the concoction we made was Mojo Crillio. I usually marinade with it over night and then add a little of Jeff's rub before putting it on the smoker. Remember to cut it thin and across the grain. And yes, about 2 1/2 minutes per side. Sometimes I don't even bother with it.
If I sear a total 5 minutes the thing will be near done.

What do you think of substituting with Italian dressing?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky