Little white lie won't hurt...right?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Newglide

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 14, 2021
NC
So last night I made some pork chops on the grill, mac n cheese and corn.
I had some left over bourbon, honey garlic glaze left over so I thought why not.
My father in-law joined us for supper. He's a Baptist preacher and asked "what we havin?"
I knew I would be in trouble if I told him everything that went into the glaze so I told him pork chops with a honey garlic glaze. Not really a lie but not 100% honest either.
He loved the pork chops and the glaze and couldn't get enough, even took some home with him. He even told me not to loose the recepie for that glaze.
I guess what he doesn't know won't hurt unless he asks for the recepie

Although I do hear it's pretty hot in hell

Not according to Manson...

1713550463072.png

Devil's advocate as it's personal to me, I would never hide alcohol content in any good u served others. Not a religious thing but rather an "allergy" thing.
True, but for the most part the alcohol will get burned off when boiling the glaze in a pot.

Reactions: JLeonard
True, but for the most part the alcohol will get burned off when boiling the glaze in a pot.
Please don't take this as preachy as it's not what I'm trying to do. I'm just sharing info I' ve learned. I learned a bit about this a couple years ago when I wanted to do a nice rich wine sauce for lamb. I was surprised by what I learned. Again I am very careful about alcohol consumption. I've since purchased 0 alcohol wine for such applications. Here are a coupon le excerpts from sources and can easily be confirmed with many. "Depending on the cooking method and how much alcohol is used, anywhere from 4 to 85 percent of the alcohol may remain. After 15 minutes of cooking, about 40 percent of the alcohol remains. Even after an hour of cooking, about 25 percent is left, and 10 percent remains after two hours.Nov 10, 2023". .........,.......a reference, here's a helpful rule of thumb: After 30 minutes of cooking, alcohol content decreases by 10 percent with each successive half-hour of cooking, up to 2 hours. That means it takes 30 minutes to boil alcohol down to 35 percent and you can lower that to 25 percent with an hour of cooking. Two hours gets you down to 10 percent.

I prefer to advertise the truth about ingredients! The protein I always wait till after we eat.
I've had people say they could never eat deer. Only for me to tell them we just finished Bambi! LoL

Reactions: jcam222
"Depending on the cooking method
I make a bourbon BBQ sauce . I always heat the pot and add the bourbon first . Scalds it pretty hard . Leaves the flavor . If I don't do that I can taste the booze in the finished sauce .
I don't know the facts about it like you do , but that seems to work . JJ told me one time that it gets hot enough like that to boil off the alcohol .

I'm with the no surprises on what people are eating if I'm serving it .

Reactions: jcam222 and gmc2003
try making the glaze without the bourbon and see if its good then next time serve that to him.

I make a bourbon BBQ sauce . I always heat the pot and add the bourbon first . Scalds it pretty hard . Leaves the flavor . If I don't do that I can taste the booze in the finished sauce .
I don't know the facts about it like you do , but that seems to work . JJ told me one time that it gets hot enough like that to boil off the alcohol .

I'm with the no surprises on what people are eating if I'm serving it .
Hey Rich, would you mind sharing the recipe for this?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky