Little help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kcpigman84

Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
Kansas City, MO
Okay, I have a big smoke by my standards, and a small rig. I've been cooking on a Kamodo Akorn CharGriller for about 18 months now. This Sunday (21st) my wife and I are hosting her family for Christmas dinner. We have a 16 lb whole packer and a pair of Boston Butts around 5 lbs each in the freezer right now. I know for some people around here, that's called "Saturday" but for us, it's a big smoke, too big to fit on my rig at one time. All of the meat will be served @ 1 pm on Sunday. I'm pretty confident with what I want to do with the meat itself, but the timing is more of an issue.

My plan, roughly:

Cook Boston Butts on Saturday during the day. Foil and rest for an hour in a cooler, then transfer to a foil catering pan. Pull the pork and cover with foil, let it cool to close to room temp, then stick it in the fridge over night.

Start the brisket ~9 or 10 pm Saturday night, cooking at 225-250. Pull Brisket ~11 foil, rest in a cooler. Throw the catering pan with the pork into the oven on 200 for about an hour, starting at noon. Unwrap the brisket ~ 12:30 and slice, remove pork around 1 and serve everything.

Some questions: When do I thaw the Boston Butts to have them ready to rub by Friday Night? What about the Brisket?

Will the pork stay moist if I use the reheating method I'm describing? Will it need less time in the oven, or a higher warm temp?

Any advice helps.

Thanks, fellas. I'll try to take some pics to post.

Last edited:
Take them out of the freezer and place them into the fridge NOW

Your plan for the butts is good but I would add either a finishing sauce or a little apple juice just before reheating. Pull the foil back mix in the liquid and reseal the foil then into the oven.  I would put the pork in a little earlier as well at low temp it takes a bit to heat up.

Have a good smoke and a great day with family and don't forget the Qview

Sound like a plan, I'll be watching

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky