1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Liquid Fat Settling on Outside of Sausage

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by izzie1701, Oct 23, 2013.

1. izzie1701

izzie1701 Newbie

I attempted my first smoked sausage yesterday.  I used the edible collagen casings made for smoking.  I smoked the sausage at 200F for aprox. 3 hours (internal temp reached 165F).  When I took it out there was a lot of liquid fat build up on the inside of the casing.  It has now cooled and I have a band of solid fat around the outside of the sausage just under the casing.  How do I avoid this from happening in the future?  It happened with both my pork and beef sausage.

Thank you in advance.

2. s2k9k

s2k9k AMNPS Test Group

Smoke at a much lower temp. At 200* you were cooking it and all the fat was rendering out.
    When I smoke sticks or sausage I will start at about 100* and slowly ramp up 10* every hour to a max of 170* and hold it there until they reach 152* IT. Then a cold water bath to cool them off and stop the cooking process.

3. X2

4. Smoking sausage takes time. I don't let my smoker get above 175F getting to an internal of 150 in a snack stick sized case takes 6-8 hrs, the larger the case the longer it will take. just sit back, have a beer and wait it out. We all had to learn that lesson.

5. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yep, the 200°F temp melted out the fat on at least the outer most meat of the sausage. If you take the smoker no higher than 170°F you will be fine....JJ

6. Ditto on the other answers from the group....I smoke mine at 165°-170° max to an internal temperature of 152° then immediately submerse in ice water to cool. Your next batch will be perfect. Don't give up. We all live and learn....[​IMG]

7. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

When I make beef sticks with edible collagen casings, I smoke them at 140 ish for 24 hours....  don't dip in and ice bath because I like the wrinkled finish..  I learned that from nepas....   and I used his recipe....    Dave

8. I like the wrinkled look on snack stix too, beef fat melts at a lower temp than pork so your are correct to keep the temp a bit lower. What internal temp do you go to?

9. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I think the IT is around 138 or so....  The chart below is for non-intact meats...    130 degrees for 121 minutes, 2 hours, and it is safe...  140 ish for 19 minutes...  it's safe...   as long as you don't do something dumb during processing, and all safe handling procedures etc. are followed...  I grind my own meat..... I don't use store bought tubes very often......    So, I figure, 24 hours at 140 ish is very safe....

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  10. I agree when doing beef sticks without submersing in cold water but when doing Bratwurst, Polish, German, I usually cool them quickly in ice water...RTB