Lighting Methods

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokehouse

Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I plan on buying a charcoal smoker and i have been reading this forum for tips. I am looking for advice on how to light your charcoal. The only way i know how is to is the way i do it on my webber, by putting lighter fluid on the charcoal and lighting it. I was wondering how you experianced guys do it.

Smokehouse,
Gofish really nailed it. It's good to be able to start a fresh batch of charcoal while the embers of a previous batch are still declining in heat. And it's all done without the smell of the lighter fluid. Also, the pariffinn cubes are great.

when buying a charcoal chimney starter local, it pays to shop around. i have seen them from $6.99 to $15.99 for the same sized units, depending on which i store i looked at. i think it was lowe's that had them for $6.99. i am going to look again before i buy mine. where ever i am when i see one for $6.99, i will buy it there. they all looked to be the same quality wise, too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky