Lighting Methods

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by smokehouse, Dec 5, 2006.

1. I plan on buying a charcoal smoker and i have been reading this forum for tips. I am looking for advice on how to light your charcoal. The only way i know how is to is the way i do it on my webber, by putting lighter fluid on the charcoal and lighting it. I was wondering how you experianced guys do it.

2. smoke on the water

smoke on the water Fire Starter

3. pyre

pyre Meat Mopper OTBS Member

Chimney starters are great. They take about 20 minutes to get going real good, but you don't have to use any lighter fluid.

4. linescum

linescum Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Sears has them for 15.99

5. icemn62

icemn62 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

6. bwsmith_2000

bwsmith_2000 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Smokehouse,
    Gofish really nailed it. It's good to be able to start a fresh batch of charcoal while the embers of a previous batch are still declining in heat. And it's all done without the smell of the lighter fluid. Also, the pariffinn cubes are great.

7. chris_harper

chris_harper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

when buying a charcoal chimney starter local, it pays to shop around. i have seen them from $6.99 to $15.99 for the same sized units, depending on which i store i looked at. i think it was lowe's that had them for $6.99. i am going to look again before i buy mine. where ever i am when i see one for $6.99, i will buy it there. they all looked to be the same quality wise, too.