Lighting Charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boshawg

Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
So what is the best way of lighting charcoal? Is there problem with using denatured alcohol?

Mark 

Denatured alcohol might work and won't produce toxic fumes, but it's probably not going to burn long enough on its own. Best to soak a paper towel or clean rag in it so it would act as a wick. It's also extremely dangerous and may burn with an almost invisible flame in bright sunlight, so keep that little guy in your profile picture safely out of the area.

I'd skip the denatured alcohol and get a $10 charcoal chimney, which is in my opinion the best method of starting charcoal.

Harbor freight sells a 1100 watt heat gun for $14.99 ,with frt. under $20.00 .Best way to light charcoal .Fire in 30 seconds .No fuss . Look on you tube .There are videos of people using heat guns to light coals .Oh yeah forget that $80 thing that is just a glorified heat gun .Cheap every day 1100 watts and you got fire pronto.

i use a propane weed burner torch , lights the coals in less than a minute and really cuts my time down on start up .

Take two paper towels, put just enough veggie oil on them to get them wet, put under chimney starter and light it. The paper towel leaves little to no residue, and it starts it just fine.

Thermite!  Works like a charm!!!
th_4th_of_July.gif

Charcoal chimney hands down. Been using one for years and it works great and you need nothing but paper to light it.

I did just buy some starter cubes however I haven't used them yet.

if you are going to buy a chimney, get the weber. its a little bigger and for whatever rerason, it lasts longer over time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky