Lighting Charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Why make a mess? Start em dry.
Good chance they won't generate enough heat long enough to start the charcoal. By adding the oil you are making them burn hotter - it's basically a home made version of the starter cubes you can buy in the store.

Paper bags from the grocery store light a chimney every time with no oil needed. Never failed me once. Newspaper works well to just not as accurate.

Good chance they won't generate enough heat long enough to start the charcoal. By adding the oil you are making them burn hotter - it's basically a home made version of the starter cubes you can buy in the store.

I live OKC...windiest place in the country..Never had a problem.

I use a Weber chimney   stuff some of that heavy brown paper that comes with packages in the bottom make sure a little comes through the bottom grates then light with a match or two

Works like a charm

Sorry, I know this is a zombie thread but didn't want to start a new one.
I have a chimney but found that I can ball up the same amount of newspaper under the grate in my smoke box, lay down a layer of hardwood charcoal and top with a few sticks of hardwood kindling and light the paper underneath. It works way faster than the chimney for me.

I have a question in this regard too....

I use a Weber chimney starter to always light my coals.  I always use the Weber wax starter cubes.....but the problem I seem to have is that 

if I wait until all the coals are ashed over, the bottom ones will be dust already because the thing is burning so hot.  I mean it's like a jet engine of fire coming out the top.  So I usually have to dump the chimney out while the top coals are still on fire because the bottom ones are just burning up quickly with the intense heat.  Am I doing something wrong?

No, you are not. When you pour out the coals they will get more surface area exposed to the air and will light more quickly.

Starting lump charcoal is different, lump will be fully lit when poured from the chimney because there are no binders in it, it will be ready to use when it comes out of the chimney, whereas with briquettes you have to wait until they are all ashed over.

Weber Chimney and cubes!!
thumb1.gif

I have a weber chimney and I also have some of the lighter cubes.  Never tried to just start the cubes by themselves.  I normally still do the newspaper in the chimney but I throw a cube amongst the charcoal lumps.  I hate the newspaper ash though.  So, I can just light the cube through the bottom of the chimney?  

I have a weber chimney and I also have some of the lighter cubes.  Never tried to just start the cubes by themselves.  I normally still do the newspaper in the chimney but I throw a cube amongst the charcoal lumps.  I hate the newspaper ash though.  So, I can just light the cube through the bottom of the chimney?  

Yep, I put a cube on the very bottom of my chimney and fill with charcoal and light.

Use an empty tuna or cat food can. Put a jigger or two of rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) in the can. Load you chimney with briquettes. Light the alcohol with a match or a propane stick lighter. You might not see a flame but you will feel the heat on your hand waved over it. If you feel no heat, light it again. Place the chimney over the lit alcohol in the can and Bob's yer uncle.

This is a lot cheaper than cubes. You can store a pint or a quart bottle with your chimney. I occasionally find gallon jugs for cheap at a salvage warehouse. I bought the last one for $5.00 more than 7 years ago and I haven't run out yet..

I must confess that since I got a (used) Performer, I light mine using its gas nozzle.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky