Light v's Dark Sugar

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

niallam

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 18, 2015
Ireland
Slightly more of a bitter taste from the dark sugar but not really noticeable to most I'd say.
Used all light for rub and BBQ sauce and all dark in the second pic.
What do most use?

Dark Brown for everything...Better flavor...JJ

I like the light brown with a little Turbinado added

Yup. What Chef JJ said.

The difference is in the amount of molasses. There was a post on here somewhere about conversions/substitutions....Ah! here it is from my notes!:

To make light brown sugar from white sugar:
-For each 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar called for in a recipe, use 1 1/2 tablespoons molasses plus 1 cup granulated sugar.

To make light brown sugar from dark brown sugar:
-To make light brown sugar from dark brown sugar, use 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar and 1/2 cup granulated sugar.

To make dark brown sugar:
-For dark brown sugar from light brown sugar, use 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar plus 1 tablespoon molasses;

-To make dark brown sugar from white sugar:
1 cup granulated sugar plus 1/4 cup molasses.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky