Lets Talk Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
The tale

Long ago, I was in Junior High, that was a day or two ago. I got to meet an buddy of my Pop's and his family. His name was Smokey a full blood Cherokee indian and his wife who's name was Lilly she was born and brought up in one of those European Bohemian Countries and was Smokey's war bride. They came to visit in Louisiana and she went crazy over the breads, which we all of course took for granite. She had this basket of sausages with her, I know now to be summer sausages. I remember they were good but strangely salty.

She said (after a hush hush trip to the store, that she was making lunch, an open faced sandwich. She had my attention and she and my Mom were hovering and fluttering over the kitchen counter like little girls. I am thinking my gosh how can a sandwich make these ladies like this?

First, I deviated from the sandwich and used my own interpatation. Spell check is not working for me so you'll just have to try and figure what I meant instead of what I type. Read typo? Why yes, fluiently!  So I smoked the two filets off a turkey breast.  What an awesome value these days with 9.00/lb smoked turkey lunch meat.

I filleted the meat, and threw everything but the filets in the stock pot (I am already dreaming of the next tamale cook). I then brined the breastestess over night, tied 'em up, under the fan, forming a pellicle. I rubbed with oil and threw some Herbs of Providence (Stupid me, its simply parsly sage rosemary and thyme someone else mixes) on it to get rid of it. Doh!

New smoker, MES versa Red-Smok Maverick only a 2 degree differnce.

Smoked Turkey breastestess, never had a nekkid smoke go so long.

220 smoker, pecan smoke, after 5 hours I bumped to 250, 2 hours later, 165 IT The skin is as good as it looks. I used the cold smoker instead of the chip tray. Still learning.

I wish you could see the jucie, and smell that smoke!! Yes, I keep sitting here smelling my hands.

The sandwiches, Mrs Lilly said when she was a child working the fields they would have either five or seven meals a day, although they were these little sandwiches.

Starting with a bagette sliced, and buttered.

Sliced meat, Mrs Lilly used a sausage called thuringer which I am gathering ingredients to try making this winter. Its sort of like a big Slim Jim. Back to the sammy.

I figured a small piece of smoked provolone had to be good on it! Dang my hands smell soooo good, why didn't I use this perfume when I was out chasing?

A slice of tomato and there ya have it. Each sandwich is is only 2 bites, 3 if you are dainty!

Seriously two is plenty and it always surprizes me too! Course I woulda only had one if I had been eatting 5 or 7 times a day.... But working for food sounds like I would be cleaning car windshields at the intersections.

It all works really great together, Chewy crusty bread, the butter and cheese make everything so creamy and rich, that smoked breastestess (should have been Thuringer Sausage), then the acid /cool taste of the tomato goes so great with it.

It doesn't like much at all, but its one of my most favorite sandwiches and when I do offer to share with friends, they are always impressed. If you get a chancetry it, you'll like it!

Thanks for checking it out!

Last edited:
Wow. Great cook.

Looks like I could slice thin on a slicer and have turkey lunch meat.

Oh the options with that.

Wow. Great cook.

Looks like I could slice thin on a slicer and have turkey lunch meat.

Oh the options with that.
C-Man..... they were I think .79/lb. Sister brought me 2. I only thawed one of them. I have a piece of Butt in the reefer making a small ham. And I sliced up and cured eye of rpound for...... you guessed it, Jerky!

But you really need to try those baby open-faced sandwiches. They just go together and taste so wonderful, no condiments!

Oh, and thank you sir of the compliment, after that mouth watering butt you did this weekend I feel lucky to just stand in your shadow!

Damn my hands smell gooooooood!!

Oh I will try them but I have been thinking of trying turkey lunch meat.

Thanks for the compliment on the butt, I got lucky on this one.

I find me smelling my hands after a smoke too.

Oh I will try them but I have been thinking of trying turkey lunch meat.

Thanks for the compliment on the butt, I got lucky on this one.

I find me smelling my hands after a smoke too.
 That is where this all started. I want to try some garlic bolonga, but I just can't get motivated till it cools off a little. That Thuringer is also going to happen too.

Sure wish I had a nice slicer like some folks around here.

Last edited:
Looks great Foam ! Nice smoke.....
beercheer.gif
Thank ya sir. That was that new MES40's maiden flight. Didn't want to scare it on the first smoke. I am guessing I will like the cold smoker if I fine some decent chips to try.

Going to call then tomorrow about it, the chips in the tray didn't smoke tonight. I am wondering if its one of those where I need a chip tray upgrade. <shrugs>

I'll find out tomorrow.

This looks terrific, Foam. I love smoked turkey, it takes the smoke so well and yours looks perfectly cooked (read moist). The provolone would go great with it. Dang. Hungry once more.

Disco

Yep I was raised on Tenn biscuits and gravy one of my grandmother would always make a huge one for me in the morning for my strawberry jam dang it foam look what ya did lol

Great little sandwiches. So many ideas...so little time... Just finished dinner about an hour ago and I'm sitting here thinking boy those would taste good right now! 

This looks terrific, Foam. I love smoked turkey, it takes the smoke so well and yours looks perfectly cooked (read moist). The provolone would go great with it. Dang. Hungry once more.

Disco
Listen, quiet! This is the last of the affordable foods.... don't let butterball or the grocery know.

I am going to try making some thuringer, thats how Ms. Lilly made the sandwichs and its amazing how great these small little sandwich are. its surprizing.

Yep I was raised on Tenn biscuits and gravy one of my grandmother would always make a huge one for me in the morning for my strawberry jam dang it foam look what ya did lol
Milk gravy, chicken gravy, beef gravy, red eye gravy, etc etc etc..... biscuits and gravy, biscuits and honey, biscuits and ham, biscuits and sausage, biscuits and eggs, bisccuits and jelly (I make lots of jelly). A pan a biscuits is like a bowl of salad you can add anything to it and its good. Its like a canvas to paint on.

Great little sandwiches. So many ideas...so little time... Just finished dinner about an hour ago and I'm sitting here thinking boy those would taste good right now! 
Thank you sir,

They are really good, try the simple little sandwichs and don't expand upon them till afterward. It will surprize you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky