" LET THEM EAT CAKE " Smoked Strawberry Cake and 2 kinds of chicken and corn on the cob ( lots of pics )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Smoked Strawberry Cake with meal of Pineapple Jerk chicken and Sweet Baby Rays chicken and Peaches and Cream corn

The cake is the star and everything but the Cool Whip was done in the smoker, yes the cake also
Start with your basic white cake, normally I would put into a 9 x 13 pan , but I wanted a higher cake so mine was a little smaller
Had my smoker up to 325 deg. with apple chunks ,was trying for not too heavy of a smoke
Cake was in the smoker for approx. 20 - 25 minutes, turned around half way through ( keep an eye on it, check for doneness with a toothpick )
While cake is cooking slice up 2 quarts of strawberry's ( put aside 5 -6 nice big ones for roasting later for garnish ) put in bowl with 3/4 cup sugar stir
When cake is done remove and let cool, put berry's in pan and in the smoker and stir once in a while until tender , there will be a lot of liquid ( sause )approx 15 minutes, remove and let cool

1.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
7.JPG

This all can be finished in the pan you cooked the cake into , but i wanted to put mine in a smaller dish, so I remove and put in a little smaller glass dish for looks, Had to cut 2 edges to go in new dish, so I had to eat the cut offs
There was nice Smoke to the cake but only on the top, the Strawberry's took on a lot of smoke so I was worried that Mona and her family would not like,
I put the berry's in a bowl and added juice from 1/2 a lime, stir and taste to see if you need any more sugar for your taste
Now that all is cool poke small holes all over the cake with something small like a pencil size or smaller , now pour/spread the strawberry's over the whole cake. The juice/ sauce will flow down through the cake and berry's on top now. Cover the whole cake with Cool Whip, Place cake in fridge to stay cool
Now the berry's you saved earlier, slice in half, dip the cut half in sugar and put in freezer for 10 minutes +/- When I had my grill going on high while doing the chicken place the berry's on the hot grill to roast and carmalize the cuts because of the sugar mine did not leave the grill marks as much as i thought it would

8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG

You can see how the juice ran down in the holes on the cake. They all loved the cake and than told them it was made in the smoker ( Mona knew ) they could not believe , had to show them pictures ha ha . All is good.

Now here is the main course, Pineapple Jerk chicken and Sweet Baby Rays Original and fresh Peaches and Cream corn on the cob, great meal with Mona's family again

13.JPG
12.JPG
15.JPG

DSC_2911.JPG

17.JPG

Thanks for looking , I know I'm long winded . Just showing all the steps

Good meal, good weather and frienDavid

Last edited:
The Cake is definitely the star! Never tried smoking a cake or berries, but we prepare Strawberries in a similar manner for Strawberries and Poundcake. The chicken came out nice as well...JJ

Reactions: DRKsmoking
That chicken looks fantastic . I have a whole bird in the briner bucket and a whole fresh pineapple o go on the smoker today .

Cooked many a pie , cake and bread on Webers kettles way back when .
Might have to revisit the cake and pie .

The Cake is definitely the star! Never tried smoking a cake or berries, but we prepare Strawberries in a similar manner for Strawberries and Poundcake. The chicken came out nice as well...JJ

Thanks Chef for the like and the comment

It real was the star, they all loved the flavor , and did not believe I cooked it in the smoker
Chicken and corn were good also

David

That chicken looks fantastic . I have a whole bird in the briner bucket and a whole fresh pineapple o go on the smoker today .

Cooked many a pie , cake and bread on Webers kettles way back when .
Might have to revisit the cake and pie .

Thanks chopsaw for the like and the comment

Yes chicken was fantastic , but the cake was really nice . I have only done 1 pie before thanks to TNJAKE TNJAKE for the Pecan pie recipe
Really like the pineapple Jerk flavor

David

What a great looking meal David!! I'd have never thought to smoke a cake but hey, why the heck not? Very well done sir and of course, that chicken looks outstanding.

Robert

What a great looking meal David!! I'd have never thought to smoke a cake but hey, why the heck not? Very well done sir and of course, that chicken looks outstanding.

Robert

Thanks Robert for the like and the comment

Yes it was a great meal , and surprised at how the cake tasted with the smoke in the berry's and the cake
And the chicken was a hit also

David

Outstanding! Such invention! I love to cook (and eat) and think I can do some decent meals but time and again am reminded I'm only a humble beginner. Very well done sir.

Great looking meal, not hard to see why everything was a hit! Nice job!

Thanks WaterinHoleBrew for the like and the comment

It was a great meal even I was happy with everything
yes everyone was quite happy and surprised that the cake was all done in the smoker, did not tell the company that came until after they ate it . Said it was a really nice different flavor for strawberry's and cream on cake. :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum:

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky