Let the hilarity ensue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

falmund

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
Beaver Crossing, NE
My wife (who, as previously stated, is an amazing bargain shopper) found a gen I MES 30 for $100 on Facebook.  It's been used thrice, and is almost as clean as a whistle.  The heating element seems to work well.  I've got it out front running a test rack of spare ribs, just to see how it runs.  From what I have read, I understand to stick to no more than 1/4 cup of SOAKED chips at a time.  Running hickory, just checking on it every 15-20 mins to see what the smoke is doing.  The temp is climbing a bit slowly, but it is a little chilly out.  We shall see.  I don't have a camera available (unfortunately), so no pics yet.  I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Incidentally, my wife also found a Gen 1 MES 30 for my father in law, so you will probably see him popping in here as well.  Be nice, he's new to the obsession.

First check, smoke is thin and blue......
icon_cool.gif
.  Temp is only up to 180, but it's only been  about 30 mins, so I'm not too worried.....yet.  Anybody have comments on how accurate the gen I temp readings are?  My last remote thermometer died, and my wife is reluctant to let me kill another.....

Nice find! I saw a brand new one on Craigslist a few years ago for $80, and I passed. Still kick myself over that. So I later bought one from Amazon for $149. Mine runs about 20°-25° hotter than the display says, especially in the right-rear corner.

Good to know, thanks!  I'm still not up to 225 yet, but it's close enough for government work, and I'm getting good smoke out of it, so we shall see.  I really need a new thermometer.....

Well, we (S.I.L) and I were evidently in a first-time use coincidental experience! Except I'm not real happy with my outcome. And now, I'm getting this repeated popup with "AJAX response unable to be parsed as valid JSON object."  I will go to a different browser and continue....

Well, we (S.I.L) and I were evidently in a first-time use coincidental experience! Except I'm not real happy with my outcome. And now, I'm getting this repeated popup with "AJAX response unable to be parsed as valid JSON object."  I will go to a different browser and continue....

So now I'm on Firefox instead of IE 11, no more messages.  I've got no idea what the "best ribs yet" means, cuz we don't know how bad the old ones were, Mr. Falmund!! It's all relative.

For example, mine were also "the best ribs yet"  from my smoker, but also the "worst ribs yet"  since they are the only ones I've ever done.
yahoo.gif

Mine were overdone, but great taste, not juicy or fall apart at all. I don't have an IT thermometer yet (1st day!) Meat was all white inside. I started it on 225 with dry chips, a little water in the pan. Meat prepped with mustard and rub, wrapped in fridge for 7 hours. Windy outside, kept the vent choked down pretty far. Added chips a couple times (damp ones). I peeked at one hour and again at two. Shoulda yanked and foiled at 2, I think now. Left for 3, and they were shrunk and getting a little dry on the outside. (These were no-bone CSR's) Foiled with apple juice and put back on for about 1.5 hrs. with the temp set to 200. They were more moist for sure. Let them sit in the foil for about 20 minutes on the counter, then ate 'em!

My plan for the next batch of these:  1) ask for more advice   2 )verify actual temp vs. controller setting  3) set for about 210 F temp 4) go 2 -1.5- .5 or something like that, spritz after the first hour. 5) get an IT thermometer if possible, even though people say it's not necessary on these 'ribs' that aren't really ribs!

OK, Falmund, tell us how you cooked yours, please!

Wallypedal

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky