Let The Good Smoke Roll! Brisket...and birds.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Been a couple months since I've shared a cook on SMF so thought I'd take y'all along for the ride. Got a packer brisket thawed and seasoned up tonight. Plan is to put it on around midnight monday night to have it ready around 5~6pm tuesday for the guys @ the firehouse. Could not pass up a brisket @$1.89/lb!!!

Trimmed and seasoned...
IMG_20181015_003654.jpg

Wrapped up in Saran wrap for an overnight nap on ice to let the meat suck in the salt...
IMG_20181015_004600.jpg

Nite, nite....see y'all tomorrow night for the cook and lots of pics.

Thanks for watchin.

Reactions: JLHJR
I'll be checking in periodically throughout the day. Good luck and enjoy.

Chris

No green, just bad lighting for the picture. Using basic SPOG for a rub.

LOL---I had a pic that had a lot less Green tint than that, from lighting, and My Buddy Al thought I was gonna Die!!

Be back for the final Pics!!

Bear

I'm with you on the rub, after Many briskets I prefer the dalmatian -S&P, let the beef speak for it's self. Never understood 14 different ingredients. Thanks for what you guy's and gal's do

Started the fire up at 9:00pm and let the wood chunks burn down to thin blue smoke...

IMG_20181015_215922.jpg

Checked it @ 2am and added more wood chunks...

IMG_20181016_020518.jpg

It's a rainy night with the front moving in, sorry for the blurry pic. More to come!

She's chuggin along, INT@154* chamber temp @265*.

I also put 2 chickens on the top rack after wrapping the brisket. Those will be used for smoked chicken gumbo later this week...pics. when I pull the chickens off in about 3~4 hours.

That looks well worth the wait. The brisket looks great!!! Nice job.

Point for sure.
Chris

That looks well worth the wait. The brisket looks great!!! Nice job.

Point for sure.
Chris
Thanks Chris. About another 7~8 hours to go on the brisket, INT is 162* right now, hit the stall. I wanted to wait until I wrapped it to put the chickens on so chicken fat would not drip on the brisket....

I'll get better pics. with daylight later today when I check it and when slicing...

I'll still be checking in. Can't wait.

Chris

I used a little bit of live oak chunks along with some hickory pellets for the brisket. Once wrapped, I threw a few apple chunks on for the chickens...

That's some good looking meat. Nice job. I'm sure the guys at the station appreciated it...I know that they can be a tough crowd!:D

Wow! This brisket hit 199* @ 7am. That is the fastest brisket I've ever done. It's 14lbs after trimming and I usually budget 1.25 hours per pound. I was expecting 14~18 hours for this one and it was finished in 9 hours. Thing is, I'm not serving until about 5~6pm tonight so I have it in a faux cambro and plan on bringing it to the firehouse in a couple hours. I will have to put it in the oven and keep warm. If I can keep it below 180* it might not fall apart.....we'll see.....

I would post a pic but I did not crack the foil to look, just straight in the cambro as fast as I could to keep warm. Lots of pics. later tonight when I open 'er up for slicing. We're havin cowboy beans, white bread and fig dump cake made with streutel coffee cake mix.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky