Lemon Chicken Lollipops On A Vertical Skewer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
I recently bought some Brazilian barbecue skewers with threaded drip pans to test out and really like them.
For this cook I layered the chicken from top to bottom with lemon slices on the skewers. As the chicken cooks the lemon caramelizes and sort of self bastes the chicken, and leaves you slices for drizzling on when plated.

qHWx8w4.jpg

My pit temp was close to 275° the entire cook, and I basted them once to help set the color. The liquid in the drip pan is not all drippings, I gave each pan a squirt of water during the last 45 minutes or so. The internal was 180° when I pulled them.

KL7gJRo.jpg

Woc3yIj.jpg

I was pleased to discover that my Oklahoma Joe's hanging skewers (right) have the same threading as the spikes on my vertical skewer drip pan. They come with a 6" spike and a 12" spike. The OKJ's skewers are 12" also and I like to use these in my drum. Now, here is where is gets interesting:

Since everything is interchangeable, I can use the Oklahoma Joe's hanging skewer with the drip pan in my drum if I need a heat shield or have a very wet meat, like some Al Pastor meat. Or I can use the 6" spikes and Oklahoma Joe's feet in my egg. I can't use the 12" spikes in any of my cookers, so I'll probably cut them down and grind a new point so I can use multiple OKJ feet with spikes when cooking in the Egg. I have 6 of the OKJ skewers, so the combinations are endless.

2IJSHzl.jpg

Looks good! Where do you get the skewers with the drip pan?
Use the search parameters: 'Mydracas Vertical Skewer Brazilian Barbecue Skewer Stand Stainless Steel Removable Grilling Meat Spit for Roasting Meat Steak Whole Chicken Sausage' and you will get hits from Amazon and a few other dealers.

The rods are 1/4" diameter and the coupling attached to the pan has a good quality robotic weld on it. I've cooked a coppa roast on it and some cubes of marinated pork loin.
TV1PwKt.jpg

They look good. The lemon idea is a good one...JJ

They look good. The lemon idea is a good one...JJ
I like having grilled lemons with grilled food, even if it's just for a squeeze or two on the meat, or on some vegetables. What you can't see is a small pale spot where the chicken touches the lemon, but the overall flavor, moistness and looks make up for that. The cooking time was well over an hour so it's spit roasted rather than grilled.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky