Lem Big Bite dehydrator

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sack1971

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
Grey Eagle, MN
Looking at the Lem Big Bite all stainless steel dehydrator. Looks promising. Wondering how it dries vs excaliber or cosori. Im fine paying a few hundred more, if its worth it. When doing jerky, are stainless steel trays a must? Thanks from Minnesota

Not sure about the LEM Dehydrator but most LEM stuff is good quality. I have the 80-Liter Commercial Dehydrator from Bass Pro and it does a good job. A friend has the 160-Liter Commercial Dehydrator from Bass Pro he and a friend of his went together and bought it and they really like it.

I had a LEM years ago, good dehydrators but the SS lid in front rattled and was noisy. dont know if they fixed the issue.

I popped over and looked at that. Looks awesome but I noted two things I wasn't thrilled with 1) I hate the door design. Slides up and down on a track and no ability to see inside while in place 2) max temp is 150 and I prefer those that go to 160. Looks very well built though. I'll still consider one if I decide to move on from my commercial Weston unit.

I have an ancient plastic one with 8-10 trays.
Don't remember exactly how may as haven't used it in years.
Worked great when we use it.
Use Smoker now instead for Jerky.

Last thing I remember using it for was drying Hatch chilies.
Then ground them into power for adding to stews, etc.

I have 2 of the same kind Piney has and no complaints

What do you guys use your dehydrators for? I was thinking beef jerky, but will try that on a smoker.
Jerky, fruit, herbs and at the moment I have some cooked pork rind in there dehydrating to fry tomorrow for chicharron

I have a round Presto unit similar to American Harvest or Nesco.
Wife got it for free (for me) as an anniversary gift from her former employment.
I don't use it a lot. I only need to dehydrate peppers every 2-3 years.
I naturally air dry my herbs.
If I dry herbs in the Presto, the fan tends to blow them around and shatter the leaves.
I tried drying tomatoes, but found I prefer them smoked and oil packed.

If I was buying a unit to use a lot, I would avoid the round stackers.
The rack style are great, but really think about how much you plan to use it before dropping a lot of coin.
I lost the romance pretty fast.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I have a round Presto unit similar to American Harvest or Nesco.
Wife got it for free (for me) as an anniversary gift from her former employment.
I don't use it a lot. I only need to dehydrate peppers every 2-3 years.
I naturally air dry my herbs.
If I dry herbs in the Presto, the fan tends to blow them around and shatter the leaves.
I tried drying tomatoes, but found I prefer them smoked and oil packed.

If I was buying a unit to use a lot, I would avoid the round stackers.
The rack style are great, but really think about how much you plan to use it before dropping a lot of coin.
I lost the romance pretty fast.

Great feedback. I was leaning towards using my pellet smoker to make jerky instead of a dehydrator.

I popped over and looked at that. Looks awesome but I noted two things I wasn't thrilled with 1) I hate the door design. Slides up and down on a track and no ability to see inside while in place 2) max temp is 150 and I prefer those that go to 160. Looks very well built though. I'll still consider one if I decide to move on from my commercial Weston unit.
I agree about the door design. Why can't they make a design similar to a fridge. Just total lack of common sense in design.

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky