Leftover Ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Joma

Original poster
Jun 15, 2020
Is it just me or do smoked 321 ribs taste better reheated the next day...or two or three? It's happened to me now a couple/few times where I make ribs on the smoker and they're fine, enjoyable enough, but not mind blowing...but then I go to eat the leftovers in the following days and they taste way better,, more like what I was anticipating sitting down at the table the day I made 'em. Is it simply resting? I give my ribs some time to rest, but brisket and pork shoulders and the like usually get an hour or two or three wrapped up and in a towel and in the cooler. Ribs are more like 20 min or so...

I did a search on the subject and I found one random posting elsewhere suggesting that maybe it's due to a sensory overload of smoke inhalation and dulling the taste of it while sitting in front of the grill for half the day or better, and the following day that clears up and you taste your smoke efforts more fully. That explanation makes some sense, but then why does it seem (to me at least) more specific to ribs and not just about all your smoked meats? Didn't find existing threads here on the subject so creating a new thread... Anyone have thoughts or agree?

Reactions: JLeonard
i always smoke my ribs at least a day but most of time 2 or 3 days ahead of time, to me they always taste better also. there is truth to the sensory overload, but with my the pellet and electric smokers i use anymore i really don't sit in front of the smoker like i did with the offset. so basically i think they just taste better after sitting a day or 2 or 3.

Reactions: chopsaw
Extra time for the rub or sauce to "brine" the meat may also be a consideration.
When I do a jerked spatchcock chicken I always freeze the bird for a week at least before thawing and cooking.
The depth of penetration on the jerk spices is much deeper into the meat after soak time in the freezer compared to days in the fridge after seasoning.

Left over ribs? I've never head of such a thing! :emoji_laughing: But seriously...I think its a mix of sensory overload and also letting the sauce set into the meat. Sometimes i'll pull the meat off the bone and make a sammich the second day.
Jim

I think a big factor is the day of the smoke you tend to go “smoke blind”. Being around the smoker and smoke desensitizes you to the smoke. The next day you get a better sense of the smokey goodness.

I’m the same way. Usually when I do ribs for the family I hardly eat any. Like you said I think it’s from smelling it all day.

i agree with you and others. I thought it was just me. Some have said and it makes sense that your around the smoker and you get desensitized to them. I love them 2 and 3 days after. I like the idea of smoking them a couple days before but my kids won’t let those sit around. Especially my 8yr old sun.

Does the wait give the taste time to settle and set up??? Are we going to be resting meat for days now??? I'm going to have to retire to cook... Ok at my age it's called becoming a bum but still!

Last edited:
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Is it just me or do smoked 321 ribs taste better reheated the next day...or two or three? It's happened to me now a couple/few times where I make ribs on the smoker and they're fine, enjoyable enough, but not mind blowing...but then I go to eat the leftovers in the following days and they taste way better,, more like what I was anticipating sitting down at the table the day I made 'em. Is it simply resting? I give my ribs some time to rest, but brisket and pork shoulders and the like usually get an hour or two or three wrapped up and in a towel and in the cooler. Ribs are more like 20 min or so...

I did a search on the subject and I found one random posting elsewhere suggesting that maybe it's due to a sensory overload of smoke inhalation and dulling the taste of it while sitting in front of the grill for half the day or better, and the following day that clears up and you taste your smoke efforts more fully. That explanation makes some sense, but then why does it seem (to me at least) more specific to ribs and not just about all your smoked meats? Didn't find existing threads here on the subject so creating a new thread... Anyone have thoughts or agree?
Sensory overload happens with any type of cooking.
I don't know about you but with me I seldom think the meal turned out as well as I was hoping for yet everyone else that eats it says stuff like it's the best they have ever had. Than the next day you can relate to how they feel much better.

I have taken culinary çlasses that go in to detail on this topic. It's a real thing!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky